Getting to know you.

All things NVA
BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Getting to know you.

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

Hi
This is my first post so please make the necessary allowances for my current state of ignorance of NVA.
My previous experience was with a near top end Naim system, I sold it all to move house and want to try something different as I start again building a system.
All I kept was basically my second system Naim Unitiqute, Nap100, Nac A5 cable @ 2x4mt, PMC TB2 speakers, Cyrus CD XTSE2 transport, Chord Sarum digital, Chord Indigo rca/phono leads Project 5.1 turntable, mm cartridge, Naim phonostage and NAS drive.

At first I would like to ditch the Naim amp and introduce a pair of A80's mono blocks, so will this work ok plugging the pre-out from the Qute into the mono blocks and use the A5 speakercable to get me by for now without infringing the warranty or doing any damage.
I am slightly concerned that this will not do the A80's justice but I hope will give me an idea of the sound. I believe in the synergy of a system and intend purchasing more NVA products if I get on ok with the amps.

I liked the Naim sound but had to spend far too much climbing the Naim ladder to achieve it. I am hooked on forensic levels of detail and emotion, a big sound stage that is not fixed between the speakers but is all around them, dependant on other things I know but an amp with these characteristics will be a big step in the right direction.

As my next purchase would be cables I have some general questions about them.
Naim always recommended a minimum of 3 to 3.5mt of speaker cable with their amps, does this also apply to NVA amps as well.
Would the Super Sound pipes be better than the Chord Indigo’s I already have.

Any recommendations for DAC’s and some help with what type of speakers work well with NVA and what to avoid, I rely fancy some ‘Maggies’ at the mo again for there open sound.
Thanks in advance for any help at the start of yet another learning curve. :guiness;
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Getting to know you.

Unread post by Andrew »

Hi there and welcome from me :D

I hope you find what you're looking for in a system. Personally, I've usually not fared well when I've moved house and taken a system with me, so it might actually be good to start again in your new home. It can be fun any way up :D

Whilst I've had a fair bit of Naim, it's tended to be the older stuff. I do know A5 though and FWIW I reckon you might do as well to flog it and start with one of the cheaper NVA cables. I really like LS2 myself and it's peanuts to buy. At least you can try without losing anything. A5 fetches a really good price used these days, hence my thinking it might be an option to sell it on.

The Doc will confirm, but I believe he's said before that you don't need minimum lengths of cable for NVA like you do with Naim.

Good luck with your learning curve. I'm still on mine too. I'm not sure it will ever end and I think I like it that way :D

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well im sure whichever NVA kit you decide upon, you will be pleasently surprised.
But be warned - You will want to upgrade. ;)
A80's - LS6 - SSC - Would be a hell of a fine place to start should your budget allow.

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

My tuppence worth;
Mark 1 A80 should only be used with passive pre, Mark2 A80s can be used with active pre, not sure where that leaves you with your "pre-out from the qute".
On the archive NVA site the Doc lists speaker cables that are OK with NVA (not sure if NACA5 is on that) but nowadays the Doc says only NVA speaker cable should be used with NVA amps (again mark 2s are more forgiving).
Royd speakers work well with NVA, but if you look around you'll find loads of brands being sucessfully driven. The Doc usually recommends speakers with simple Xovers (ditto Mark 2s). What are Maggies?
Yes SSP will probably be alot better than chord indigos if used in a primarily NVA system (synergy). BUT here's probably the best thing about NVA in my opinion; buy the cheap stuff, try it, if you don't think it's a step in the right direction send it back for a full refund. If you do like it trade it in for some better stuff. That's what I did and I'm now using SSP and LS6 (which is probably pushing the limits of diminishing returns on my system, but.) Its abit like installment paying :lol: , spead the pain, and get something to play with while you climb the NVA ladder. The Doc knows what he's doing with his business model :clap: .
No minimum speaker cable length required, I use 1.5M. but I imagine this depends on the amp you're using.
Oh and I'm sure the Doc will emphasise when he comes along, this isn't an NVA site (it IS associated with the Doc), there are plenty of people here not using NVA. And even a few who've tried NVA and decided it's not for them or moved on. So whatever you're opinions on NVA you'll be welcome.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Hi Bronk. Andrew is right don't use NVA amps without NVA speaker cable.

What is a Qute ? if it contains the Naim pre-amp circuit then i would be worried as there is a feedback system between some Naim Pre and Power amps which makes them only compatible with other Naim products.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Magneplanar speakers, people like calling them maggies. My Dad owns the MG 1.7 speakers.

Good speakers but can be a burden for some amps.

S.
Shane Lonergan.