Hi-Fi Pics.

All general audio posts go here.
Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hi-Fi Pics.

Unread post by Gromit »

Nice little collection there Andrew - am looking forward to getting my own Sapphires this week. :dance:

My latest acquisition...

Some of my rig:

Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Linn LK1 should disappear sharpish as despite a 'good tone,' it's rather veiled on the line inputs, despite a lot of work being done in its life. if you wanted to persevere with it, please take the top off and I can tell you a little more that may help wring another few percent out of it.

Those Pro-Acs seem to use similar parts to the Super Towers I know well. The treble was set up to sparkle more than it should, but as said, trad valve amps suit them well. Many Pro-Acs seemed to be balanced with a midrange dip to magnify a sense of spatial depth with such gear. Bass on bigger ones seemed to boom far worse than most 'BBC types' IMO.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Dave. I'll lift the lid on the LK1 sometime as that really intrigues me.

I am in a very small minority but I've always had a real liking for the LK1 and also the LK280. The phono stage is always a favourite too. I must've had about a dozen such combos over the years, although I've had LK1s on their own as well. One very fond memory is the unlikely pairing of Xerxes through LK1 and KSA50 into Elas or SBLs.

I also remember owning 72/Teddycap/250, Exposure 3/9/Dual 4 and LK1/280 all at the same time. Through SBLs I was surprised to find the Naims finished last. The Exposures only just pipped the Linns using my old Xerxes and Naim CDI.

I agree with you about the Proac floorstanders. I've never been a fan of conventional floorstanders. They always seem to have problems with bass, rhythm and timing. I tried both mini towers and super towers from Proac but didn't like either, despite having great fun with both their stand mount counterparts. I can see why they appeal domestically but there's just no point if they fail musically.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Gromit,

Those Q2010's are really interesting me :) Where did you buy them from?

How is the Exposure going?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

jammy395 wrote:Bottom pic Zebbo......

Is this turn table some sort of rock prototype and what did you think of the sound - feedback much appreciated. :think:
:lol: goes backwards too.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

southall-1998 wrote:Gromit,

S.
Got mine from Superfi in Lincoln although you can get them from Deco Audio in Aylesbury, in fact it was Peter Empson who got me onto the idea of them in the first place.

The Exposure's fabulous - for vinyl it's probably the best amplifier in the house, the phonostage is just ridiculously good. Very quiet, plenty of gain too. Only reason I'm not using the amp much at the moment is because it doesn't have the grunt to really drive the 2010i's to the volume I like.

Through its line inputs (ie for all my digital stuff) the Sony is better and it has shedloads of power to grip the Q's.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

southall-1998
Wales

Gromit wrote:
southall-1998 wrote:Gromit,

S.
Got mine from Superfi in Lincoln although you can get them from Deco Audio in Aylesbury, in fact it was Peter Empson who got me onto the idea of them in the first place.

The Exposure's fabulous - for vinyl it's probably the best amplifier in the house, the phonostage is just ridiculously good. Very quiet, plenty of gain too. Only reason I'm not using the amp much at the moment is because it doesn't have the grunt to really drive the 2010i's to the volume I like.

Through its line inputs (ie for all my digital stuff) the Sony is better and it has shedloads of power to grip the Q's.
I would have thought the Exposure would have mightily gripped the little Q's :shock:

Once I've settled down in Devon I might consider to look for an Exposure Super XV, my Neat Petite MK1 speakers are hankering for greater power. Or, another plan is to get efficient speakers for my Exposure X, I'm looking at those lovely Edingdale floor standing speakers built by Colin. No doubt the X will drive them with ease, especially at loud volume levels!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Andrew wrote:Cheers, Dave. I'll lift the lid on the LK1 sometime as that really intrigues me.

I am in a very small minority but I've always had a real liking for the LK1 and also the LK280. The phono stage is always a favourite too. I must've had about a dozen such combos over the years, although I've had LK1s on their own as well. One very fond memory is the unlikely pairing of Xerxes through LK1 and KSA50 into Elas or SBLs.
The best LK1 was just before the external Dirak was added. Linn had doubled the value of supply capacitance from 4700 to around 10,000 as I remember and the input sensitivities were adjusted ages before. The Dirak ruined it from memory. As it was, the Kairn was a FAR better product and that is easily outclassed today by other active preamps like the Crofts of this world, as well as ss models from AVI, MF and others.. Leave an LK1 powered for a year or three and the main board overheats and burns up around the hot running regulators, so be warned.

As for the LK2, the early ones had the wrong interface plate between output transistors and external heatsink, causing blow-ups when saras and isobariks were used at high volumes. I sorted mine before any damage was done and it was a good amp, especially if one channel was disabled and the thing run as a mono amp. The LK2-75 was looser sounding but could be argued more musical. As for the LK280, the thing should have been still-born!!! Right from the off, the design was bad, with distortion in the input trannies being amplified up through the chain through to the output. The sound was grainy but 'rhythmic,' the external power supplies offered as an option adding to this issue. To me, the sound was as if squeezed through a toothpaste tube and the horrid Intek and related products were very similar. In my experience, Linn didn't get their electronics poo together until years later - late 90's - where the Klout finally matured into a not bad amp, the fair Kairn sound quality was much improved in transparency in the 5103 processor (set to stereo) and the lean-toned but worthy Lk140 came along (the LK100's still sound grainy to me, but not as bad).

Sorry to go off on one :roll: I rather like passive SBL's when driven by proper amps, and Linn and Naim amps don't qualify here!!!!! Active SBL's are far better again, since the passive crossovers weren't really the best quality IMO and didn't need to be as Naim wanted you to go active with 'em!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

southall-1998 wrote: my Neat Petite MK1 speakers are hankering for greater power. Or, another plan is to get efficient speakers for my Exposure X, I'm looking at those lovely Edingdale floor standing speakers built by Colin. No doubt the X will drive them with ease, especially at loud volume levels!!

S.
Shane, the Petites sound weak because the tweeter is set far too high (as are Kudos so beloved of Naimies) and designed for a fruity vinyl source. I maintain the Exposure X is harsh if pushed (we'll know if the XV is fuller and less edgy).

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
southall-1998 wrote: my Neat Petite MK1 speakers are hankering for greater power. Or, another plan is to get efficient speakers for my Exposure X, I'm looking at those lovely Edingdale floor standing speakers built by Colin. No doubt the X will drive them with ease, especially at loud volume levels!!

S.
Shane, the Petites sound weak because the tweeter is set far too high (as are Kudos so beloved of Naimies) and designed for a fruity vinyl source. I maintain the Exposure X is harsh if pushed (we'll know if the XV is fuller and less edgy).
I like my Exposure X, perhaps bigger efficient (easy to drive) speakers?

S.
Shane Lonergan.