Unipivots

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Unipivots

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

wiicrackpot wrote:
edit: on closer inspection, it's not a Neat but very similar, strange.
Can you upload pics, either DSJR or myself will probable be able to identify it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Old age creeping up, but what was the difference between the Neat G309 and G20? I remember the former as it was widely mentioned in the late 60's HiFi Sound mags I used to collect.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Just wanted to say thanks, Dave, for the tip-off on the Sonus cartridge. I've managed to navigate the Swedish menus and complete my order. If it's really good, I might buy a few at that price. I can scarcely believe the price and I'd never have found that site in a million years without your link :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

G309 was probably a broadcast arm for radio stations. G20 and G30(B) were domestic arms. Did you see the B as a 9?

This may help http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index. ... ic=12814.0

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Apologies for having another senior moment, but G30 B is starting to ring bells now - why the fugg did I have to chuck all these old mags out - a damned good clean up may have saved them (three decades in the loft and long before I discovered the internet, let alone audio websites) :x
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So many unsung hero's that now just get ignored or thrown away, because we have forgotten them or can't see past the flat earth or modern forum bullshit.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The other one from those days well worth seeking out is the AT1005II (Audio Technica).

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Took a couple of pics but failed to upload to Flickr, looking at it more, it doesn't look like it's a Neat arm,
there's no armlift, if you want it, just PM a posting address and i'll pop it in the post for you tomorrow.
Frank...made me do it.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The other one from those days well worth seeking out is the AT1005II (Audio Technica).
Someone's selling one of these as part of a package with a very nice Lenco on one of the forums. At last year's Scalford Show I spent a great couple of hours on the saturday evening with the Lenco boys listening to their stuff - sounded great, and they're all proper enthusiasts, nutcases the lot of 'em. And all the better for it imho. :)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Well I got my Sonus Gold Blue about an hour ago. It has a very unusual level of detail already and I'm sure it has a lot of running in to do. It shows no signs of harshness at all, which is a good sign. It is a bit lacking in rhythm, impact and dynamics though.

If I may, I'd like to ask a couple of questions of D_S_J_R or anyone else who can help:

firstly, I'm tracking at just over 1.5. Is this a good starting point?
Secondly, the sliding weight is about two thirds of the way back, as this is a high compliance cart. Again, am I in the right area as a start point?
I know trial and error will get things perfect but I'm hoping to cut down on the "error" part by utilising the knowledge and expertise of those with more experience. I've never had a high compliance cart before and MMs are also unfamiliar territory, especially on a unipivot.

Thirdly, the output is pretty low and I always prefer not to have to crank volume controls right round. Would it work through an MC phono stage? I've never had an MM cart with such low output. MCs are a different story. I'm not going on specs here, just perceived volume which seems to well down on normal.