News/ Cartridge.

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: News/ Cartridge.

Unread post by zebbo »

:whistle:
Not cheap, admittedly, but nor is a Decca.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

wiicrackpot wrote:
southall-1998 wrote:
wiicrackpot wrote:I know you'll get a balance recco here, i thought you hook up with Geoff (walpurgis) over at AoS periodically, i have a lot of time for Geoff over there,
from memory he uses and rates highly of the ZYX R50 Bloom, have you heard it and not like it hence the psycho thing about MC's?,
otherwise Zebbo's 2M Black recco is sound.

P.S. did you not see the recent Ebay ad for a job lot of 3 rock platters?, from memory he wasn't asking for a lot either.

P.S.S. good luck with the move.
I do visit Geoff occasionally at his place and have good listening session. He certainly owns a good system.

I've heard his ZYX cartridge a couple times. It's very good but I wouldn't go crazy for it!

On Geoffs system I did hear a Decca Maroon cartridge which was bloody good. Very fast, revealing, musical and a tad bright sounding cartridge. I regret for not buying the Maroon from Geoff!

Geoff is a good bloke but don't expect smiles and laughs from him :mrgreen:
Would the Decca be a good match with the Rega R200?, maybe others can answer that.
S.
Would the Decca be a good match with the Rega R200?, maybe others can answer that.

So Geoff is no 'bundle a' fun' then, bring a feather and tickle him the next time you visit. :mrgreen:
Sorry I missed that wii.

Yes it should work OK on a R200! Do you also own a Shure M3D?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

This is the thread that persuaded me to sign up here :)

I used my beloved Decca Gold Microscanner in a Nagaoka headshell (Sumiko feel alike) in my R200 on the TD125 and it sounded and tracked superbly. The Garrott Microscanner version seemed to retain everything that's good about the breed, but looses the 'twang' that humbler models can exhibit in my opinion. On a Rock II/Excaliber, Deccas could really sing making the vinyl sound very close to the master tape, but sadly, my mate Dave informs me that current production can fail just like older ones do and did. Prompt and inexpensive servicing though. I could never get on with the blasted damping trough and paddle, but loved the deck otherwise and always got on well with Max. This deck was one of the first to deal with the fruitbox-hype head on, along with the Roksan, and never needed any apology at all in comparison (I liked the Systemdek too, but Mr Dunlop was too polite to 'do battle' with Ivor :arrow: )

P.S. I got rid of my M3-D/N21 due to dire mistracking of more modern records with 'hot' treble on them. I have to say the V15 T2 I have shares all the magic (IMO) and tracks properly too in a suitable tonearm.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:This is the thread that persuaded me to sign up here :)

I used my beloved Decca Gold Microscanner in a Nagaoka headshell (Sumiko feel alike) in my R200 on the TD125 and it sounded and tracked superbly. The Garrott Microscanner version seemed to retain everything that's good about the breed, but looses the 'twang' that humbler models can exhibit in my opinion. On a Rock II/Excaliber, Deccas could really sing making the vinyl sound very close to the master tape, but sadly, my mate Dave informs me that current production can fail just like older ones do and did. Prompt and inexpensive servicing though. I could never get on with the blasted damping trough and paddle, but loved the deck otherwise and always got on well with Max. This deck was one of the first to deal with the fruitbox-hype head on, along with the Roksan, and never needed any apology at all in comparison (I liked the Systemdek too, but Mr Dunlop was too polite to 'do battle' with Ivor :arrow: )

P.S. I got rid of my M3-D/N21 due to dire mistracking of more modern records with 'hot' treble on them. I have to say the V15 T2 I have shares all the magic (IMO) and tracks properly too in a suitable tonearm.
What was it you didn't like about/with the trough?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I'm a clumsy beggar and just found it a faff (says the man who used to garner a fair reputation for setting up wayward LP12's back in the day)... :roll:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
I'd have a Rock any day over any Condek :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Shane, it's a difficult one for me.. So many 1970's rock albums NEEDED a bit of sexing up 'Fruitbox style' to become truly involving to listen to and the late 70's LP12/Grace 707 and Supex 900E really didn't sound all plump and rounded to me. It was the Ittok that really ruined the LP12 sonics for a few years and it was a trip to Linn in the late 80's that showed me once and for all just how far from 'neutral' it really was (those Blue Nile analogue masters are awesome). The discovery of a far superior deck at a fraction of the price in around 1989 broke the spell for me and took me on the journey that led me to the Mentor with Microscanner, which is now long discontinued.

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Shane, it's a difficult one for me.. So many 1970's rock albums NEEDED a bit of sexing up 'Fruitbox style' to become truly involving to listen to and the late 70's LP12/Grace 707 and Supex 900E really didn't sound all plump and rounded to me. It was the Ittok that really ruined the LP12 sonics for a few years and it was a trip to Linn in the late 80's that showed me once and for all just how far from 'neutral' it really was (those Blue Nile analogue masters are awesome). The discovery of a far superior deck at a fraction of the price in around 1989 broke the spell for me and took me on the journey that led me to the Mentor with Microscanner, which is now long discontinued.
Understood, Dave. The Rocks are VERY revealing turntables....they don't take any prisoners!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

southall-1998 wrote: Do you also own a Shure M3D?
Sorry Shane, missed this earlier, i bought a Lenco 59 with one attached, didn't realise it was on the tt,
subsequently trashed the stylus transporting it home, :doh: still have the body somewhere.
Frank...made me do it.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Just where does the boundary between S.Q. and the rip off B.S. start. price wise. :?:
I would suggest round about the £250 mark.

Grado Prestige £50 - Koetsu £16000

:think:

Now the Koetsu is 320 times the price of the Grado but it aint 320 times better...!!!
Last edited by jammy395 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.