Digital For Daniel The Dummy

All general audio posts go here.
gus3049
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Digital For Daniel The Dummy

Unread post by gus3049 »

Whatever he has been in the past, I can hardly not approve as he is about to become yet another ex pat out here. One can forgive his 'pinkishness', given his background.

The Apple thing always makes me laugh, especially amongst the hi-fi fraternity. Knocking other people's choices is all about self justification. The only reason I use a Mac is because it was an Apple dealer I first saw when I needed a computer. I knew nothing about the things but the Mac+ had just come in (1985) and it had a mouse etc. PCs were still on DOS and Microsoft had yet to rip off the OS. I have used PCs as well as I had to at work but the rip off was second rate.

Everyone has a 'perceived value' threshold. I think that anyone who spends stupid money on ludicrously expensive leads is crackers but I'll defend their right to do it if that's their bag. I'll still think they are daft though :D

When I was wealthy, I still wouldn't join in the snake oil games.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As a PT owner , I generally forgive his pinkishness in any event :D

As for your comments on knocking choice's being self justification , well maybe but my objections to apple are price , politics and company culture .

thanks gus you have given me an opportunity to moan . One of the things I hate is their disingenuous advertising , so far I have made 4 complaints to ASA and lost every one :lol:

there recent advert is a case in point "everyday more people take photos with I phones" This is a bloody meaningless statement , everday more people take photos with any fin phone , I took one this morning with my sony . They are trying to infer by the juxtaposing of words that more people take more photos with apple , but they hav'nt got the balls or the facts to back it up, so they stick to semantic illusions .

rant over :D

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:As a PT owner , I generally forgive his pinkishness in any event :D

As for your comments on knocking choice's being self justification , well maybe but my objections to apple are price , politics and company culture .
Price is irrelevant. You takes your choice. Politics and company culture are no different to any other big company. If you dislike Apple, you would probably hate just about any big company in the world if you knew how they operate. The bottom line is profit. Nothing else matters. Shareholders rule.

I've been in design all my life and I enjoy looking at and using their products more than the other computers I have tried.I have no other Apple product. I always get mine second hand and they have been totally reliable. So much so that when I have felt the need for a little more speed, I have kept all the old ones which are lined up in the loft and still work. I could start a museum :lol: .

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I used to dislike the whole Apple culture until I tried their products. Trendy kids with white earbuds, spotty know alls in shops filled with dining tables. All so annoying. However, everything I've used from Apple has been a pleasure for the senses. So sleek, tactile and incredibly intuitive. Going back to other products afterwards just raises my blood pressure.

My friend went to buy an ipad after trying mine, but was sold a Samsung Tablet by the nice man in the shop. He regularly comes to me for help on how to use it and its something I dread touching. Everything with a Samsung name on it seems to be an exercise in the counter-intuitive. It's like they copied the ipad but had to do enough things differently just to avoid being sued. Now I know that would never happen lol, but it does highlight why so many people like the products. As for brand association, I'll avoid going there because we'll probably end up discussing Marxian cultural theory :lol:

I'll be intrigued to find out what you make of iTunes if you do try it though. At least you don't have to give Apple a penny to try it.

Daniel Quinn

gus3049 wrote: Price is irrelevant. You takes your choice. Politics and company culture are no different to any other big company. If you dislike Apple, you would probably hate just about any big company in the world if you knew how they operate. The bottom line is profit. Nothing else matters. Shareholders rule.

I've been in design all my life and I enjoy looking at and using their products more than the other computers I have tried.I have no other Apple product. I always get mine second hand and they have been totally reliable. So much so that when I have felt the need for a little more speed, I have kept all the old ones which are lined up in the loft and still work. I could start a museum :lol: .
You are correct , however I only have enough time and energy to rant at a select few , so I choose my battles on a point system , you should see what happens in our house if the children buy nestle products :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Apple and Samsung have been involved in world wide litigation for at least four years. :lol:

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cg ... od=boolean
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

RE: Nestle

Ahh..........Milky bar, Smarties, Yorkie............ My eyes are glassing over.

When we lived in York, my wife took a job with a Nestlé owned company. The amount of cost price sweeties and cookies we got through was unreal! Of course I made sure not to neglect KFC, Macdonalds, BK and the Pizza and Kebab joints. Man, we never went near a supermarket! Now I know why I have such fond memories :D

Nowadays we gain weight if we even think of chocolate, so I can agree with and applaud your moral stance. "Shower of bastards" as they say in Father Ted! Thank god we don't get cost price goodies now or I really would need a bigger house!

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Apple and Samsung have been involved in world wide litigation for at least four years. :lol:
I was being a bit cheeky there :lol:

I liked what the British Judge said best. It was along the lines of "OK Apple, you have a desirable, well designed and popular product. You really worry that this bit of tat from Samsung is a copy? " it echoed my experiences exactly.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

I'm not going to get to involved with the Apple v anything as I sell and support Apple and have done so since 1988 I like the fact that it just works with as little hassle as possible.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Stupinder

Unread post by Stupinder »

Used itunes in the past and found it clunky and it slows the machine down - in my experience. Give Foobar 2000 a bash for the playback (You can get into all the options to improve it but in its basic form it's dead simple).
EAC is very good for ripping but a pain and slow.
Free Rip is ok and supports FLAC...and needless to say free.
Whatever you do ...BACKUP because when your hardrive fails you'll be a bit shouty if you haven't!!!!