NVA case materials

All things NVA
antibob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NVA case materials

Unread post by antibob »

Not sure about cost of acrylic, ptobably more than it appears but corrian et al is very expensive. From memory its probably over £100 pers sq M. Add to that the cost of machining edges, corners etc.

I would be suprised if its like wood to work with, more like stone or granite.

Could make some very cool looking amps though, now you have got me thinking.

TKS.....The Kitchen Statement.

r100

Unread post by r100 »

antibob wrote:Not sure about cost of acrylic, ptobably more than it appears but corrian et al is very expensive. From memory its probably over £100 pers sq M. Add to that the cost of machining edges, corners etc.

I would be suprised if its like wood to work with, more like stone or granite.

Could make some very cool looking amps though, now you have got me thinking.

TKS.....The Kitchen Statement.
:D :D

I made a straight razor handle with it. You're right, it has a stone type quality to it (it rocks !). That's why I thought it would be a good casing material. It is quite easy to cut and very easy to sand / polish. I think it has already been used as casing material for audio equipment.
Last edited by r100 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

r100

Unread post by r100 »

here a pic of the razor handles. But I guess it is not suitable ... got this quote from the web

Code: Select all

I considered it for awhile. However the tooling required to work with corian is expensive (carbide). Also, you would need a special 2-part epoxy to glue the cabs together. Looked like more of a PITA than it was worth.
Attachments
photo_low.jpg
photo_low.jpg (377.28 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Tiz truly an exceptionaly beautiful razor handle.......... :clap: :think: :clap:

r100

Unread post by r100 »

thank's jam.. the handle was a test project for the blade which is in fact the real gem (it is a Filarmonica from Spain). I'm going to try some other materials like G10 or Micarta, typically used for knife handles..

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Wow......You certainly seem to know yer razors.......Good on ya..... :clap: :clap: :clap:
I guess using a disposable just does'nt cut it..... :whistle:
Last edited by jammy395 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r100

Unread post by r100 »

no, not really. Using a SR is more like a ritual. You really have to concentrate, especially in the beginning. :lol:

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

r100 wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if the Doc has tried Corian ? You know the stuff they use as working surfaces in kitchens. Is's easy to assemble, can be polished to a very high gloss, it's hard, joints are almost invisible, it's dense and can be worked like wood. I'm sure the finished product would look very chic. And why not assemble it with nylon screws instead of glueing it ?

Cheers
The front of my LFD PA0 SE is corian, which does look good. Will post a pic!