Dazed and Confused

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dazed and Confused

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The trouble is as soon as I recommend it here then a hundred odd people see it within a couple of hours, so it is no longer a secret. I will PM you a good cheap one when I see one.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

floydfan wrote:Hi Richard

Just had a go with the Pioneer you suggested. It went in the last 2 seconds for £75. This ebay lark is a bit hard on the blood pressure and I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the tip anyway. I will keep my eyes open for a similar one. The Technics was also suggested to me. I take it direct drive is the favoured choice round here.
Anyway I'm off to get my cocoa, too much excitement for one day.
Thanks again.
Hi and welcome,

DD may well be favoured here, but when I was looking (many years ago), the ones I heard were shit - can't remember the model numbers, but definately decks from the likes of technics and pioneer (also Monitor audio I think, possibly a badge job from a Japanese major).

I eventually went for an LP12 which has been a sound (sorry about the pun) investment. Yes I know about the hype and the amazing similarities to Ariston and the ridiculous overpricing on current models, but I don't think it is possible to just dismiss belt drives as the work of the devil suitable only for cloth eared followers of fashion.
Perhaps I just don't listen for wobble on sustained piano notes, but I do like to hear different guitar tones (or depth/intonation of voice) which the DD's I listened to couldn't do.
If you do follow Ebay, it could be worth looking out for a Systemdek (11x ?), which I remember liking almost as much as the LP12.

Like you I have tried a Project (Debut), which a friend gave me in exchange for transfering his old vinyl to CD. I couldn't get on with it: lightweight, poor tone, no depth.

On the ebay bidding, don't get too frustrated - just like buses; there will be another one along in a minute (particularly if it is a Technics DD :twisted: :D :D )

All the best. Guy
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There were no good direct drives in the dealers, the industry was corrupt and bullshit back then. If there was a good one they dare not sell them or they lost their Linn agencies. Guy you are not that far away, bring your Linn around, you will be in for a shock. We have done this before ask Lindsay.

howardc1951

Unread post by howardc1951 »

I had a Systemdek 11X - excellent turntable. Mine had an acrylic platter. A dealer in Brighton started getting the platters made to order but I think that Systemdek actually sold their own. I had a Mayware unipivot on it - very nice combination.

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

You could look out for the following Roksan Xerxes, Pink triangle, Pioneer, Systemdek or an Ariston RD11 but not everyone will agree with me personally I would try them in the order I have put them. BUT that is just my opinon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roksan-Xerxes ... 337f845d47

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PINK-TRIANGLE ... 3a7db8aca8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-PL-71 ... 43b87db7f8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYSTEMDEK-IIX ... 1c2fc673dd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ariston-Audio ... 43b8715d0c
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But your PL71 was duff :? Borrow mine then you will really know where it stands in the realm of things.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:But your PL71 was duff :? Borrow mine then you will really know where it stands in the realm of things.
I knew there'd be a reason or is it excuse :lol: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Gromit has the TT now and the arm needs remedial work. He says it is not as good as his previous one which is now owned by Terry Booth. I now also remember this TT was owned by Jules68 (AoS name) and the arm was damaged by flatpopely (again forum name) who came around to look at it. The head shell was squif as somehow flatpopely had cross threaded it. I re-fitted it for him but unless you took care it did the same thing again, and Gromit has now found issues with the arm tube being twisted. So according to Gromit the arm is going off to Audio Origami for fettling.

So quite simply - no it was not demonstrating the full potential of a PL71 but Gromit will get it back on song.

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi All

I see that I was mistaken and that there are other choices on the forum. When I was a boy I lusted after a linn but could never afford one. Thanks applemarc for the links some of these decks look really good and my son has recommended the Systemdek to me although he is running a JBE slatedeck at the moment and his belt drives are in the loft.
If I can get a cheap DD I can run it against my present belt drive and if I am not convinced it's no great loss. As an aside I have noticed in my searches that there Technics Sl 1200s going for more money than some LP12s that I've seen. Dont ask me where as my brain is totally scrambled at the moment

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The 1210 prices is a classic example of what a forum can do to change the market. Rebuilding a 1210 (serious money) has become a raison detre at one forum. But even here it happens PL71's have gone up as well since I have been wittering on about them

But please look at everyones suggestions just because I prefer DD doesn't mean you will, I cannot live with belt drives due to speed stability issues, but for other that is no problem.

If I spot a decent DD on ebay I will PM you. I am looking at under £100, so what is your actual price range. There is nothing there at the moment but crap plastic ones and others above £100. AND just because I tell you doesn't mean you have to buy it.