Rega planar 2 turntable problem - help please

All general audio posts go here.
antibob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rega planar 2 turntable problem - help please

Unread post by antibob »

I have a Rega Planar 2 turntable which I am wanting to sell, however there seems to be a little problem with it. I wondered if any members may be able to help with it.

It has had very little use, probably less than 50 hours but is a few years old (approx 12). When I switch it on the plater doesnt spin, but the motor turns, the belt is slipping. There seems to be a lot of resistance on the platter which appears to run in some kind of brass/bronze bush. My guess is there is too much resistance for the motor/belt arrangement. I have tried helping it along to get it spinning but it still slips after my initial shove.

Any sugestions to fix it ? could it be that over time the bush tarnishes and just needs a good clean with emery cloth ? Is this a common fault ?

I am loathed to take it to a dealer as the cost of a repair might be more than the thing is worth.

Thanks. Bob.

P.S. wrong section but if anyone wants to make me an offer :D

Gromit

Re: Rega planar 2 turntable problem - help please

Unread post by Gromit »

Bob - I'm presuming you've spun the platter by hand, with the belt disconnected?

Would also be worth removing the platter/belt and switching the motor on - watch what it does (Ie spins feely and without vibration) and as it does spin, put your finger against the edge of the motor pulley with increasing pressure - does the motor 'fight' against your finger pressure or does the pulley start to slip against the motor shaft?

I'd be surprised if the belt's slipping that's all as the motor doesn't have a huge amount of torque on these.

You can remove the bearing shaft - it can then be cleaned out and replenished with new oil (Audio Origami sell all the bits to do this). Would be worth giving it a go. I've not generally heard of Rega bearings going u/s like this, they're a very high quality bit of kit.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

antibob
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antibob »

Thanks Gromit, yes I have spun it and there feels to be a bit of resistance (more than I would expect). I will try what you said with the motor and report back.

Should the bearing be oi filled ? it was dry which may be the answer.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Take the belt off, does the platter spins freely without a quick slow down. If so clean pulley and platter belt surface (Isopropyl alcohol would be best), if still a problem then I should think it needs a new belt.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

The Rega bearing runs on a ball bearing. I would take the bearing spindle out (carefully), and check whether the ball bearing is free to move/ in there :shock: ,oil still present/runny.
You should be ok using a solvent with cotton bud (acetone/propanone or iso propyl alcohol may work) to degrease and clean the bearing as I seem to remember that the bearing is all metal - no plastic lining to swell, like some.

Have a look at the ball bearing, any flats or pits? if so replace and fill with oil (not sure which type - others may be able to help here). Do not try to force the spindle back in, it is a tight fit, left alone it will gradually drop to correct position over a matter of a few hours. Make sure that you have kitchen towel around the bearing so that any excess oil forced out by the spindle is soaked up.

To be honest, if the ball or spindle show signs of damage it would be best to let the purchaser know first and adjust the price accordingly.

JUST READ ALL OF YOUR POST - YES IT SHOULD HAVE OIL :doh:

If the arm is the old R200, you may make more money on EBay by selling items separately - I once saw a second hand planar lid go for more than a new one from Rega.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1