Source First?

All general audio posts go here.
Ninanina
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Source First?

Unread post by Ninanina »

I'm going to upgrade something in my system but can't decide what, it's my late Christmas pressie to myself :mrgreen:

I was thinking source first, upgrade my CD player

I believe most people say the source is the most important part which I can understand "rubbish in rubbish out"

What do you all think, source first? :think:

jammy395

Re: Source First?

Unread post by jammy395 »

mmmhh.....Yep source first should reap rewards,might not be better but would sound diff.............Depends on yer budget i geuss.
Probably not so clear cut a diff when swapping digital (cd player) as opposed to analogue (cartridge/arm) say........Its a case of try before ya buy.
Could consider upgraiding yer interconects...?
I discovered that the keep it simple route................works well.
Happy shopping.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

Like you I understand the logic of GIGO, after all a crap artist/piece of music/recording/format will not be saved by the most faithful transducer on the planet.

When it comes to the playback system as a whole, I do think that the approach should be tempered with some common sense.
I wouldn't think that there would be any great merit in, for instance, using a full loaded Linn LP12 (lord knows how many £k that would cost at present :shock: :shock: ) or a beautifully refurbished EMT, with a Denon amp and Celestion speakers (no disrespect to either, I use them in my classroom and know their limitations)
I know that you are looking at a CD player, but I'm sure a similar logic applies.

On a related issue, I don't see how massive megabuck speakers are suitable in a 10' x 8' living room placed either side of a 40' flat screen - but that could just be me.

I think that if you listen to your system and assess it honestly you will instinctively know what to do - don't be swayed by the opinions of "experts" (dealers, magazines or forum). By all means get advice but what makes you happy/satisfied?

If you want opinions on your actual situation, a bit more detail on your current system (and I think that system is a key word here, not enough made of synergy to my mind) would be useful.

So to sum up the above, no idea really :lol: or what rocks your boat?

Best wishes. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi Jammy,

Good advice.

Happy new year. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I think that the problem with the source first argument is how much the rest of your system allows you to hear from the source. As Guy points out.

I was once told by someone who was pretty flat-earth (LP12, NAIM Aro), that, when it comes to CD reproduction, beefing up the amplification brings bigger benefits than with vinyl (a path I followed until I bought the TFS).

But you might also be able to improve CD sound by using an outboard DAC. I have an old Exposure CD player and bought a Berefsord DAC on this forum and I reckon that it sounds as good as my old CDI at a fraction of the price.

And, of course, there's the Docs favourite consideration - synergy - after all, it is only a combination of components which makes the sound. Certainly, my PL71 based system knocks the spots off my LP12 - even when it was playing at it's very best (i.e. in the month or so after having the latest expensive fettling) - I'm resdiscovering vinyl using that.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395

Ninanina - Guy is correct with his comments on that dreaded thing..........SYNERGY.
A good goal to aim for but a bugger to find............. :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

From my avid reading of hifi magazines as a youth , i seem to recall this philosophy was espoused by the flat earths at HI fi review ,probably - some might say - for the benefit of a certain Scottish TT manufacturer because it espoused spending as much as possible on the source to the detriment of amplification and speakers .It was often defended by the phrase shit in = shit out, or more eloquently by the maxim that any information not extracted from the grooves of the vinyl could not be replaced further up the audio chain .

If it ever had any merit , then in the world of digital it would appear to have been negated . You only have to read forums to see many many people are happy with computers , inexpensive DACS and very expensive amplification and speakers . Indeed one ex-member whose personality is more sensitive than his speakers as a £200 dac and 22k speakers!

jammy395

I wonder if a £22000 dac and £20 speakers might have been better........... :think: :doh: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well source first makes a lot more sense than speakers first, but obviously if you can achieve it, and it only comes with familiarity and experience, then synergy is king.

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

Thanks for all your suggestions

Beresford DAC, now that sounds interesting, i might look into that one

Can anyone suggest any good cd players? I'm currently running a Meridian 506.20 which is superb really but i was wondering if moving to something like the Meridian G08 might be an idea. I always used Marantz players and thought they were what i was looking for until i had the Meridian! so much more musical