Small speaker recommendations

All general audio posts go here.
Citrus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Small speaker recommendations

Unread post by Citrus »

Evening all,

Ok, so I guess this is probably the 'Holy Grail' subject/question...

I'm looking for recommendations for nice sounding (not 'the best' at any price), small speakers that can deliver 'rich' sound, bass that belies their size or just reasonable bottom end, at low listening levels... (yep, along with everyone else in the world!) Even getting a discrete sub to fill-in the lower reaches of a small pair of speakers isn't out of the question.

I really have no preference to any make, as long as they're small, sound 'nice' and not like the thin trash that comes with cheap mini systems! - unless some trash is good! (we all enjoy a big greasy kebab when it suits... no, just me then :oops: ).

I'm ok with a 2.1 sub/sat combo... 'if' it sounds good - I appreciate this is an easier way of achieving some bass/richness to the sound (and probably losing everything else!) - along the lines of Acoustic Energy Aego M or similar.

I even wondered ('thought' is a dangerous thing) if a pair of dipole/bipole/omnipole (you get the idea) with double the drivers, still in a small box, might deliver 'more'... I'm open to suggestion!

Price wise, the cheaper the better ;) - there's no burning hurry to have them by 'x' date so I can hang out until something rears it's head on eBay... up to a max. of £150 (£50 would be better). I've only just decided to start looking so have 'obviously' :roll: just missed a pair of Rega kytes for £56, that might have been worth a punt.

The below is by no means a definitive or short-list, but I've considered the following for having at least the 'small' option covered somewhere in the model line-up... if not the 'good' or 'nice' aspect!

Mordaunt short MS'x', 902 or Aviano
Rega Kyte
Wharfedale Diamonds
Monitor Audio bronze or...
Tannoy P10 (getting a bit big) or... Tannoy x
Celestion 'x'
Rogers DB101
Polk 'x'
Boston Acoustics 'x'
Q acoustics 1010/2020
Gale silver monitor or moviestar
JPWs (various)
(PMC DB1s - WELL WELL out of price range!)
Jamo (CS5 active)

I'm sure any suggestions will equally be of interest to a lot of members and I'll thank you all now for any suggestions :)

Thanks
Steve

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Small speaker recommendations

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What ever you do don't get a sub.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

My lips are sealed.. :shifty:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

I can vouch for the Kyte, I use a pair in the kitchen/dining room (mainly with a tuner).
They don't have masses of deep base (not possible given the size of driver and enclosure), but seem to be a well balanced speaker which draws me in to the content of the program. Very entertaining in my view.
Only downside is that the foam (edit - drive unit covers, just realised people might think that I meant cone surround) has fallen apart, and is an awkward shape to replace.

Guy
Last edited by guydarryl on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of Q Acoustics 2010i's (about 110 quid). Why? I'd let it slip that I wished I'd never sold my old ProAc Super Tablettes to my dad, at which point he said I could have them if I wanted. Not buy them, have them. :shock:

I really couldn't do that, so went on the look-out for some small speakers which he would be happy to swap for the 'Tabs so picked up a pair of the Q's. You know what? They're great little things - took a good few days of hard use to loosen them up but they are lots of fun. And ye gods they give a great impression of scale and for a rear-ported speaker (usually a pet hate of mine) their bass isn't just full of waffle. Quite fundamental and with good pitch. Don't sit on dynamics too much either, especially on orchestral crescendos.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

Hi,

I'm not looking for boom, thud, boom from an additional bass source (sub) just something that integrates a bit more bottom end to be richer and fuller - CERTAINLY NOTHING in the Home Cinema/AV sound guise. Something that could be practically 'tuned out' to not be in-yer-face HC noticable - but maybe they're all like that!

It's not the route 'I want' to go but I appreciate a small box is physicaly challenged to sound bass full/rich so it's nothing more than an option. I know small JPWs have friends here and I will try some (along with the Rega Kyte) - maybe I'll find the sound enough for me but I suspect probably not quite the fullness I'm looking for...

re. Gromits comment on the QA 2010i's: they're on my 'I've seen' list so good to know you were/are reasonably taken with them ;)

I'm hoping someone suggests some old long forgotten gems to have a hunt for...

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-re ... 1e758d912a

Hi Citrus
Bought a pair of theses a month ago - and am well impressed with them (cheep as chips) lovely sound for the dosh.
Might be worth keeping an eye on them.
Quite weighty units - Warm bass and sweet mid/treble.
Jammy.

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

Hi Jammy,

Thanks for the heads-up - that falls into my 'dangerous thought' theory about double the amount of drivers :geek: - I was about to put them on watching and noticed they're collection only :roll: so I'll keep an eye open for similar. :)

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Hi Steve,

I favour JPW's ,I find them quite neutral with good bass for their size and well built, and I think most have rubber surrounds around the woofer, so buying secondhand could be less of a risk :?:

I have got a pair of Sonatas that I intend putting on ebay in the new year for £30 VGC.If you are interested, I would be willing to send them to you, and if you like them you can have them for £25, if you don't, you can return them. You would obviously need to pay for postage both ways though.

If you would like to see some pic's then please let me know ;)

Citrus

Unread post by Citrus »

Hi Ronin,

Yes the JPWs keep and keep popping up in discussion AND rubber surround does reduce the risk of 'previously enjoyed' gear... :shock:

Thanks for the offer on the Sonatas, at £25 that sounds like a deal :) - I'm waiting on borrowing a friends pair of gold monitors, so that'll focus my thoughts... I'm also in the process of negotiating to buy something else to 'try'... all will be revealed later 'IF' the acquisition comes off... I also have 'the speaker police' to deal with... :doh: - I'm sure lots of you have one of those... :roll:

Cheers,
Steve