record cleaning

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: record cleaning

Unread post by zebbo »

Guy, I can't believe you are even contemplating doing all your cleaning using the glue method! Sure it works and it's a bit of a novelty but the hours!!!
Not many of us can really warrant a RCM on financial grounds but for day-to-day use they are the only real solution. If I've been to the latest Audio Jumble and bought a few used LPs I can just spend a few minutes running them through the cleaner and the job's done and I can get on with playing them. You really can't always tell if a record needs cleaning just by looking either, I've bought several that have looked Ex+ but sounded really noisy before cleaning. I guess it's where the owners probably used a felt pad or a cloth which keeps the surface clean but not the grooves. Just keep an eye open for a S/H unit, I paid £100 for my Moth II Pro.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi Zebbo,

No I can't imagine doing the lot with glue, lifes too short! I was thinking more along the lines of if I play a record and it sounds bad, then clean it. Any records that don't get played don't need cleaning.

Interesting that you managed to get a second hand Moth Pro - lucky so and so. I look on Ebay from time to time and have never seen one. Perhaps a more concerted effort on my part is needed, as an all in one record cleaner for that sort of money really does appeal.

Best wishes. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Yes, you'll have to keep those bug-eyes peeled and move quickly if the price is right, they don't hang around for long. :)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Just came across an interesting home brew record cleaning formula in the February 2013 update from here: http://www.high-endaudio.com/RECENT.html#Feb
I totally agree with you about the Audio Intelligent cleaning fluids. But… after some experimentation, I have come up with a home-brew formula that is every bit as effective and a small fraction of the cost. The key ingredient is 'Nature's Miracle' - an enzymatic cleaner sold at pet stores to clean up cat boo-boos (ask me how I know about it!). My formula consists of an empty 12-oz squeeze-nozzle-top bottle, into which I pour Aquafina water, 3 capfuls of Nature's Miracle, 2 small ampoules of Boston Enzymatic Contact Lens cleaner (available at Wal-Mart) and 2 small drops of Dawn liquid. Use with a good stiff cleaning brush and vacuum-machine of your choice, and follow if desired with pure Aquafina rinse. Result - dead-quiet surfaces!
I intend giving it, or a slight variation of this recipe, a try sometime. What's cheaper car battery water or Aquafina?

Also interesting to read Arthur's comments on the superiority of idler over belt drive and audiophile psychology in his January 2013 update:
To be clear, I strongly disagree with those audiophiles who believe that everything comes down to "taste" and/or that every drive-system is inherently "exactly equal" to each other (by some mysterious "Law of the Universe") in overall** performance. I believe that these audiophiles are either overly attached to a particular component (or "character of sound"), and/or afraid of taking an unambiguous position, because of their fear of losing both their "reputation" for being "fair minded" (or "unprejudiced"), as well as some of their audio "friends". (See a recent Audiogon Thread, "Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm", for examples of this "thinking".)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

eh, arthur who , K ? and wheres the superiority of the idler drive in this quote ?

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Mild Green Fairy Liquid.

or

Chuck em in the dish washer. (removes labels though)

:whistle:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Clicky on the link for the full essay.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Lindsayt wrote:Clicky on the link for the full essay.
Read it - This guy aint got a clue and is speaking through a hole in his arse..........IMHO and its only MHO........... :lol: :hand:

He realy should get out more........ :whistle:

mmmmm Well i suppose its one man's opinion, so he may be right enough..... :happy-bouncyshadowgreen: