BBC World Service Gear Auction

All general audio posts go here.
dazmb
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BBC World Service Gear Auction

Unread post by dazmb »

Grab a bargain (maybe). Two things to note:
-How much stuff have they got as this auction is only phase 1 !
-A classic example of typical BBC out of control spending? Look through the listings and see how much new unboxed stuff they had lying around. Having backups is the right thing to do of course, but they seem to have bought multiples of everything (Tascam tape decks are a prime example) much of which is still in it's wrapper and for most of the recent years must have been classed as legacy and too old tech to use.

http://www2.ppauctions.com/auction.php? ... h=&cat=all

New unboxed stuff on pages 5,6 & 7 include:
25 Sony mono tape recorders
13 Technics SU-V500M2 stereo integrated amplifiers
9 Denon DCD-485 stereo CD players
4 Pure digital DRX-701ES digital audio tuners

And there is another 59 pages of listings....
NVA - AP20 / LS5 / SSP / Rega RS1 / Arcam DV139 / Atacama Nexus

guydarryl

Re: BBC World Service Gear Auction

Unread post by guydarryl »

Bloody hell :shock:

Quite a few LS3/5A's - expect to see a lot of ex BBC equipment on ebay in a few days time.

Guy
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I could only be bothered to look at 5 pages, in those the only thing to interest me would be the Studers. As for the rest, well didn't the BBC buy a load of crap with our licence money :angry-tappingfoot: :confusion-questionmarks:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Whilst there does appear to be an awful lot of equipment [potential waste], to be fair to the BBC i would point out that the world service and Bush House have historically been funded by the foreign office budget, and will be until next year. The change in funding is one reason for the move from Bush House, which being on the strand and adjacent to the royal courts of justice is prime real estate.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote:Whilst there does appear to be an awful lot of equipment [potential waste], to be fair to the BBC i would point out that the world service and Bush House have historically been funded by the foreign office budget, and will be until next year. The change in funding is one reason for the move from Bush House, which being on the strand and adjacent to the royal courts of justice is prime real estate.
So paid for from our taxes, same bloody waste of our money.

Daniel Quinn

Cant dispute that DOC, . I was merely defending the BBC which after the NHS is the finest public institution in the world . :dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote:Cant dispute that DOC, . I was merely defending the BBC which after the NHS is the finest public institution in the world . :dance:
Both are bureaucracies that waste enormous amounts of money, same really as anything associated with local, regional or national government.

There are many faults in the private sector, and perhaps they focus too much on the bottom line, but give a real or pseudo civil servant a budget and he will spend it on a billion paper clips or something equally stupid, as we see only too well in this auction.

Daniel Quinn

Cliche Dr Honeydew :shock:

the bbc costs each of us 50 pence per day , id pay triple that for Radio 4 only . its funding begins and ends with the licence fee. compared to sky the bbc is unbelievable value and parsimony personified . Sure you can point to areas which seem unreasonable - director generals salary and the fact the pay Clarkson and Shearer, but is simply incorrect to percieve the bbc as a money wasting bureaucracy.

private companies are just as bad if given public contracts , look a group 4 , capitia and plethora of private companies in prisons , hospitals, schools and transport siphoning of vast profits at the expense of workers conditions with guaranteed contracts from government depts .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Thats the point, the waste is the Gov giving them the contracts and not negotiating properly with proper companies.

Anyway I will concede on the BBC but it would have been even better if they hadn't bought all that crap they are auctioning, Sony midi systems :x

Daniel Quinn

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Anyway I will concede on the BBC but it would have been even better if they hadn't bought all that crap they are auctioning, Sony midi systems :x
there really is some crap and try as i might i cant think of any reason which could justify the amount of equipment they have .perhaps William Hague will join hifi sub and tell us .

as i wrote the above it occurred to me that the world service as offices and broadcasts from most countries in the world ??