what do you do?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Daniel Quinn

Re: what do you do?

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

thanks to politicians , bankers and journalists i no longer belong to the most hated occupation. :oops:

for those that dont already know i am a compensation lawyer . I like to see it as a marxist profession , i take from the owners of the means of production via multinational insurers and give to the proliteriate in the form of negligently injured workers. Basically it means i spend all day arguing and if i cant convince defendant solicitors i am right , i trot of to court and ask a judge to tell them i am right. :D

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

I’m a self employed IT consultant I used to work for an Apple dealer but decided I could do just as well on my own I work with a colleague who also worked at the same Apple dealer she is also self employed.She has just converted her Hifi to NVA. We mainly deal with small businesses most with apple computer but sometime we have to get our hands dirty and deal with Wintel PC’s. We have a varied client base that includes architects, designers, Taylors and clubs. If a client needs to use PC’s then that’s what we advise no point in reinventing the wheel?
I also sell and repair Apple computers
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Applemarc I have always been a mac man, If I need your help where are you based?

applemarc

I'm based in Gidea Park Essex about 10 miles from the Dartford river crossing and about 10 mile from Muppet labs. I have clients all round London also in Essex, Kent, Herts and Surrey. We are happy to offer help to any member.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Sovereign

Good show, I'm less than an hour away in Maidstone. One of our clients who have three offices want to strip out all their Pc's and upgrade to Mac's I'll give you a shout when they do, It may not be for some time though.
I have never owned a PC, once I find a product that works why change? I just leave the rest of the world to pull their hair due to their frustrations with PC's.

applemarc

Yes we kind of agree with that
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So why do you have to pay on average three or four times as much for a apple solution to a pc solution. A classic example is an ipad, why pay this silly price when you can get an android one for so much less.

You know me I *hate* what I perceive as a rip-off.

applemarc

You are paying for the design the fact that it just works and of course it's an Apple most of the main PC companies had given up on tablets they just weren’t selling then along came Apple and they jump on the bandwagon. Not all Apple product are more expensive than PC equivalents I have two clients that bought HP Workstation with 32Gb ram these actually cost more than the Mac equivalents and most of the parts are the same but the PC’s cost about £400 more with inferior power supply.

I’m not defending Apple pricing policy but they seem to sell every iPad the can make so why would they sell them on the cheap.
Last edited by applemarc on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

I retired at the tender age of 45 (11 years ago) from a large American-owned IT corporation (EDS).
I was a project/account manager type, lording it over teams of up to 140 or so folk.
My wife was in a fairly similar position in BT.
Happily, they paid us both far more money than we actually wanted to spend, so rather than getting sucked in to the consumerist ratrace we simply said "thanks, we've got enough dosh now - byeeeeeee". :D And we've been enjoying our freedom ever since. :dance:
... my conscience got the better of me after a while, and I now do a fair amount of volunteer work for Cancer Research UK.
Last edited by jandl100 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sovereign

jandl100 wrote:I retired at the tender age of 45 (11 years ago) from a large American-owned IT corporation (EDS).
I was a project/account manager type, lording it over teams of up to 140 or so folk.
My wife was in a fairly similar position in BT.
Happily, they paid us both far more money than we actually wanted to spend, so rather than getting sucked in to the consumerist ratrace we simply said "thanks, we've got enough dosh now - byeeeeeee". :D And we've been enjoying our freedom ever since. :dance:
... my consience got the better of me after a while, and I now do a fair amount of volunteer work for Cancer Research UK.
Sounds like you have your head screwed on there jandi