Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Unread post by slinger »

I couldn't resist. I've just bought a Denon AVR-S660H for £318.99 plus £11.99 for a remote on Amazon. It's boxed and comes with all its bits. It looks like it ticks all of my boxes for technology to handle whatever my new telly tries to throw at it. :lol:

https://www.denon.com/en-au/shop/avreceiver/avrs660h
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:11 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Seems like one has to pay a premium for Atmos functionality. Your S660H may well be better than my 3500H in a few respects.

Since getting the 3500H I've watched a few films (only 1 of them Atmos), and the first season and half of Better Call Saul on Blu-ray. Plus some TV - mostly football.

It's one of those where I'd say that the audio part of the system gets out of the way and doesn't draw attention to itself. I think that the stars of my system are the speakers, with them being of an average quality a few steps higher than most AV systems, including some costing north of £20k. So that the AV receiver just has to avoid cocking things up too much.
Not that the speakers in my AV system are the best of the best ever made. It's more that there's a lot of poor to mediocre speakers in a lot of AV systems.

I'd provisionally rate the Denon as a very little bit clearer than the Marantz, with a leaner tonal balance as its' set up now.