NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

All reviews of NVA here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ian by email - S80

Amp arrived today, thankyou.

Could not wait to try, I did not know what to expect which makes the whole experience exciting. Not listened to any of my systems for about 2 week, but I do remember what the main system sounds like when last used. It was using a valve amp and it sounded really terrific. Well, the S80 amp was in place 5 mins after it arrived and boy, I'm in heaven. It does sound very natural and the mids - wow. There is a humongous smile on my face at this moment. Very enjoyable. It will now be left on forever.

You do realise I have to go through my collection of vinyl and cd's all over again.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 4):
Latteman (Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 am) • slinger (Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:50 pm) • CycleCoach (Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:39 pm) • Fretless (Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Robert, by email

When I made the step up to the S300 amp after first treading down the NVA path with the starter bundle, I couldn’t quite bring myself to part with the little S80 amp even though I had no immediate use for it. Well, the NVA blog on bi-amping soon changed that. Turns out there was an avenue I’d not considered travelling before - and that keeping the S80 had been an unintentionally inspired move. Using LS5 to connect the S300 to the woofers and LS3 to link the S80 to the tweeters has transformed my Rega RS5 speakers. I’d expected a subtle lift in performance but the difference has verged on the transformative. The bass has gained several layers of depth and presence, while the treble is revealing details I’d simply not heard before in much-loved recordings. Both amps were superb on their own terms - but working in tandem takes them both to another level entirely.

https://nvahifi.co.uk/a/blog/building-u ... ier-system
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:11 am) • Fretless (Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:17 am) • antonio66 (Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:34 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

By email:

P90 UPGRADE TO SA
Hello Folks. I have only had the P90 upgrade to SA running a short while now and can say it is impressive. I will admit I was a tad skeptical as to how much better it might be but I can honestly say I heard an improvement straight away , the original sounded good but this is like another veil has been lifted ( Yes cliche I know, But !) its the best description I can give , listening is easier if that makes any sense . I am very pleasantly surprised indeed . Also its not fully run in yet as the resistors will take a little time to burn in . I must say Paul and the team at NVA have been excellent with communication both quick and informative I can't fault them at all . Steve W
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:27 pm) • CN211276 (Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:11 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Steve, by email.

M600s

I am over the moon with the amps, such a step up even from the S150...
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
slinger (Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:28 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Daniel. B, by email

The 2 rooms with your NVA equipment at their core were without a doubt not disappointing, having both yours and an alternate (3Square I believe) end-point really allowed me to hear beyond the loudspeaker and this is what I had hoped from the show, I was spoilt in this sense. I try my best to search out delicacy, either at a show or with clients systems, a starting point from which to grow the emotion to the ear. I rarely hear it but I'm often told by salesmen it’s there, in your case no salesman required, it was obvious - I hope other show goers appreciated this also.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Steven. W, by email

I have been into HIFI for over 40 years and had quite a range of kit . Of all the Pre Amps I've had the P90 which I have just had upgraded to the latest SA version is by far the most clear and musical . I was slightly skeptical of the the upgrade but am very pleased with the result , I thought the original was good but the upgrade took it to another level I wasn't expecting .
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
slinger (Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:23 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

By email

I first noticed the NVA P50SA / M600 monoblocks in the review by A British Audiophile. A friend of mine had been telling me for years to go for monoblocks and this review did it for me. I have been enjoying my Sugden A21SE line amplifier for a couple of years but I yearned for more clarity. I am a choral/orchestral conductor and wanted the sounds of my system to match what I hear in real life.

When it all arrived, the amps took a little while to settle but this had been drawn to my attention already by Paul at NVA. After a couple of days the sounds were stunning - the fog had cleared and the pin sharp clarity of everything came so clearly into focus. What in the past had sounded 'like a piano' now was 'a piano' and Paul's promise of wanting to listen to music into the wee small hours was true.

I immediately fished out my favourite recordings and listened to them afresh. It is almost like monoblocks are the equivalent of our two eyes, working independently but allowing the brain to sort out the image. An integrated amplifier is like seeing everything with our eyes crossed. I urge anyone who is serious about sound to order this combination asap!

DT

--
DAVID TEMPLE MBE

www.davidtemple.co.uk
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
slinger (Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:52 pm) • CN211276 (Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:29 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:32 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

J.L by email

This is a bit of a follow on as I started out with the S80 before using the trade in scheme to move on to the S150 for more power and eventually upgrading that to the S300. Since this is all subjective I should say what other components I use so my pre is a refreshed NVA P80 with MM phono stage and separate power supply, Kralk Audio BC30 MK2's, Topping D30 Dac, Audiolab CDT6000 and Project Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Blue.

In some ways there is little to say that isn't already said online in the descriptions, the S80 is fantastic with 90dB+ speakers but will struggle with harder to drive speakers. I have some 85dB speakers and while the S80 didn't get hot it was clear more power was needed to drive these speakers which now sounded bass light. I upgraded to the S150 which made a clear difference but upgrading to the S300 really pushed them to their full potential.

With regard to sound, I always call it the magic which is mostly clarity, realism and imaging. When I first got the S80 it changed what I thought solid state was capable of giving, made my tube amp virtually redundant and completely switched me off from the seemingly never ended path of trying to build the best hifi system I can within my budget.

I couldn't live without an S80, it's a sweet sounding amp so now I use a pre-owned S80 (bought from NVA) to power my 90dB Kralks and my S300 powers my 15'' semi U-frame OB subs.

The S150 carries the same clear open sound of the S80 but will drive less sensitive loads easier, it's really the same for the S300 and no doubt the mono blocks. There is no suspiciously magic upgrade path here where the manufacturer promises you better components or more complex tech, you get more power and that gives more dynamic ease which is more noticeable with difficult loads. All three of these amps stand out as being very musical and engaging which is no doubt partly down to the purist design of the amplifier boards.

I highly recommend an NVA matched system, especially if you're looking for your end game. Customer service and support has been excellent. Their finance options and trade in schemes have made it possible for me to build a fantastic system while their home trials allow potential customers to demonstrate without risk.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 4):
Fretless (Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:17 pm) • slinger (Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 pm) • CN211276 (Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:25 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:32 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade