What does a song sound like?

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

What does a song sound like?

Unread post by slinger »

I've said this before, in different posts and different ways, but here are the many variations of how a song sounds... Don't take me too seriously though. ;)

#1 - It sounds firstly like it does inside the songwriter's head.

#2 - It sounds like it does inside the band's head(s).

#2a - It sounds like the bandleader thinks it should.

#3 - It sounds like the band's manager thinks it ought to sound for their image, and to make him money.

#4 - It sounds like the producer thinks it needs to sound, to "shift product" and also often to carry his "trademark sound".

#5 - It sounds like what the engineer believes to be his best attempt at balancing all the other opinions that have been shouted at him into account, and still making it sound musical.

Not strictly true, obviously - I'm having a bit of fun too - and not applicable to each and every recording, but as a huge generalisation it definitely contains large grains of truth.

As a rule of thumb, if you're in the studio for any length of time, take the engineer out for a beer. He/she will be the last "creative" person to touch your work, and you REALLY need him/her on your side. A good engineer will play the studio almost like a musical instrument, and you definitely want him/her in your band and nobody else's.

As I've said, everybody involved with a song quite possibly hears it differently, even before laying the track down in the studio.

Different members of the band will even hear it differently while performing it live, or rehearsing it, especially, perhaps, you're the bandleader (BL), whose "job" it is to hear the aggregate of all the players and tweak the little things that HE thinks are missing, or "wrong" with the way the song is being played before it even reaches the studio. But, and trust me on this, playing live and rehearsals can sound like two different songs. The BL has to decide which bits (if any) from both situations can be translated to the studio. Some bands react better to playing "live" in the studio, and adding any overdubs after the fact, while others will actually perform better by building a song track by track, maybe starting with a click-track to guide a basic rhythm track for the other band members to, eventually add their parts to. Often, the basic rhythm track does not make it into the final mix.

As for the musicians, often, the only other instrument that the drummer is interested in is the bass, and vice-versa, because they need to "lock", becoming a single unit, in effect becoming the "spine" of the band, although the bass-player might show an interest in the keyboard player if he's stepping on the bass lines. The singer and lead guitarist are only interested in themselves, and definitely not each other. It's a contest FFS.

The rhythm player and the keyboard player are often expected to suffer in silence and do what the BL says.

As I said, not exactly serious, but there are bits 'n' bobs that I think many musicians will recognise if they've ever gone further than playing in their bedroom.

Of course, with the advent of professional-quality home recording software, and "plugins" that emulate everything from a synth to a guitar, to a whole orchestra, it's become easier to cut out some of the middlemen, and hopefully, the songs are turned out as the writer and performer wants them to sound, for better or worse.

Of course, if a song is picked up by what used to be called a major record company, the cycle begins again.

Self-releasing, or licensing recordings, is about the only way you're likely to hear what the songwriter actually intended, or, hopefully, a close approximation thereof.

Of course, that's not always a good thing, as I've proved endlessly in the past, with my own home-studio setup. :lol:

I hope you've enjoyed my bit of fact-laced fun.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 4):
Lindsayt (Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:49 pm) • Fretless (Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:33 pm) • CN211276 (Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:40 pm) • Grumpytim (Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:44 am)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: What does a song sound like?

Unread post by Fretless »

As a singer of Classical choral music I'd like to chuck in a different perspective here

The overall sound of a choir is governed by the conductor, who controls tempo, dynamics and inflection. Also acting as a focus-point for the various sections and synchronising the singers voices.

Each vocal section (Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass) primarily focuses on their own part, listening to the other sections in order to maintain the harmonies and lock the timing into place.

As a Bass (mainly, sometimes Tenor) I also have an extra responsibility which is to try to maintain the pitch of the rest by maintaining a solid tonal foundation. Sopranos and Altos tend to drop in pitch, given the chance. A good choral performance is one where an entire choir carry the initial tuning to the end.
Basses are also the 'engine-room' of the choir, locking into the conductor's given tempo and following his/her's dynamic shifts.

The result, in theory, is a complex and balanced sound that presents a song with emotion and atmosphere to an audience that only has to sit and listen to it.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
slinger (Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:12 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450