Another DIY SS Amplifier with NVA Boards

A place for DIY project discussions.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Another DIY SS Amplifier with NVA Boards

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Have done the finishing touches to the power supplies and have applied symmetrical RF filtering to the output of the
input stage/VAS/buffer stage power supply. So both amplifier power supplies are now RF filtered at their outputs.
As I've already said, the third supply is dedicated to the built in phono stage.

The complete power supply schematic is below and now includes the primary side, where an X-2 cap has been installed to keep mains interference and spikes out. Jobzagoodn I think. That it all sounds fookinfantastic can be taken as read: :grin:
SSPSUFin.png
SSPSUFin.png (88.06 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
Latteman (Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 pm)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Ok, so we are now a couple of months into life with the messed about with NVA amp amp boards with twin power supplies and built-in separately powered phono stage, so I thought I might try the single-ended pentode amp for a while.

I let it warm up over a one hour time period before letting it loose on a few choice recordings. Oh dear :cry:

I know I've done a bloody good job of breathing on the NVA boards, but even so, I was not prepared for the sheer crapness of the sound of valve amp in comparison. In every department, the solid-state amp wiped the floor with it. Great on the one hand, sad on the other, but that's the situation.

If I want to build something with valves that will be able to live in the company of the SS amp, I’m really going to have to go some. Whether I can be arsed is another question entirely. I mean, what would be the point?

EDIT:
Looks like I mentioned earlier in this thread, that the amp built with modded NVA boards knocked the valve amp into a cocked hat. Sometimes you have new baby syndrome and fool yourself into thinking that the latest project beats the earlier one but when you compare again after a few weeks, the differences have a habit of disappearing. Not this time - the difference is more stark than ever.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:35 pm) • antonio66 (Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:33 am) • Lindsayt (Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 am)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Steve , the hot glow glass days are not done , I'm sure you work out a way for glass to sound good once again