'Real' bass - ported vs sealed speakers

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: 'Real' bass - ported vs sealed speakers

Unread post by savvypaul »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:15 pm

Ps . Is it necessary to quote the post your post if you are responding to the post directly above yours 😁
Not necessarily.

It does provide the quoted poster with an automatic notification, which may be helpful to you if you are hoping for a reply.

Use as much or as little as desired. 😏
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I didn't know about the notification , now it is perfectly understandable and the fact it made me mad as disappeared .

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

I bow down to your expertise. However, it's not so easy to get large loudspeakers to work well in smaller rooms.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Nigel wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:55 am I bow down to your expertise.
There are no experts here
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Nigel wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:55 am I bow down to your expertise. However, it's not so easy to get large loudspeakers to work well in smaller rooms.
In my 16' x 14' room, the speakers I've had most problems with are small standmounts with rear ports. The largest speakers I've had are Quad 57s. They do take over the room, but they sound great.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:15 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:28 am
Nigel wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:55 am I bow down to your expertise.
There are no experts here
We only need to be our own expert. What our own ears like and dislike, and why.
I am in the hi-fi trade

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

When you get down to 12 x 12 with 9ft ceiling rooms like mine, where the hi-fi has to share space with the TV and the distaff side of the household, then compromises have to be made. Large speakers in a space like mine are simply too overwhelming as I’ve found out the hard way. I designed some large sealed single driver speakers so that they could go flat to the wall, which helped enormously in terms of combatting boom. However the elephant in the room continued to be the fact that in that space they were simply too damned loud. They could not be turned up to give bass chest thump without serious risk of hearing damage and a noise abatement order from the council, hence my eventual move to slimline Mission floorstanders with front ports. These give a far more balanced sound in my room and the bass is capable of going way down without the risk of hearing damage from the mids and top.

Ironically, the only speakers I ever owned that could hit the chest in my living room at a reasonable volume level were a pair of sealed box KEF Coda III bought around 1982 (87dB/W @ 8Ohms.) I’ve never had that in-room experience since. The Mission 773 have a similar frequency balance to the old KEFs but the 5in Aerogel driver is not big enough for that kind of bottom end lark. In terms of the in-room balance I get, I’ve almost come full circle.

Loudspeakers and the way they interact with the room environment is a difficult thing to get right and when you get lucky like I did with the Mission 773s, the operative phrase had to be “Yep, I’ll take that. Jobzagood’n.”
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:48 am However the elephant in the room continued to be the fact that in that space they were simply too damned loud. They could not be turned up to give bass chest thump without serious risk of hearing damage and a noise abatement order from the council, hence my eventual move to slimline Mission floorstanders with front ports.
I don't understand? If they were too loud, why not just turn them down and listen at a volume that wasn't too loud?
If by loud you mean distortingly loud, then that's not my impression of them from listening in the Owston room.
Do you mean they lacked bass chest thump unless turned up loud? Well maybe a little bit, but they had reasonable bass quantity and quality for such inexpensive speakers - in the Owston room.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

They lacked physical bass impact unless they were at ear shattering levels. In the end that was the reason I gave up and sold the drivers. It’s the old adage:

Deep bass
High efficiency
Smaller cabinet.

Pick any two you can’t have three.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:39 pm)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

The 15" ones wont hit you in the chest with the bass any more than the 12".

Both went from sealed to aperiodic loaded, the 12s had the vent in the bottom firing at the floor, the 15s have it firing up at the ceiling.

Going from sealed to aperiodic vented was beneficial.

The aperiodic vent isnt meant to extend the bass response, it is supposed to have the effect of flattening the impedance curve where it spikes right up at resonance.

The vent has surprisingly little coming out of it.

A sealed, vented, ported, transmission line, mltl, whatever, cabinet is not necessarily better or worse than any other, how it interacts with the room is and always will be the biggest single factor in my opinion. And you cant know untill the speaker is in the room.
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 3):
Geoff.R.G (Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:34 pm) • karatestu (Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:22 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:24 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7