How far apart are your speakers ?

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: How far apart are your speakers ?

Unread post by antonio66 »

I have my system placed across the corner of the room, my speakers are 8' apart at the moment with only a very slight toe in, having recently moved them slightly wider apart and closer to the wall: The manufacturer recommends starting at 1m away from the back wall, with my speakers angled at 45 degrees I've taken a measurement from the middle of the speaker to the wall, which is 25cm
Since The MadMick mentions Audio Physic speakers I remember a review in HiFi+ of a pair which imaged exceptionally well but were place much wider apart with plenty of toe in and the seating position was well forward, so it would seem there is no set rule, depends on your room, furnishings and speakers: I think it was Wilson speakers who suggested having someone to clap at different distances away from the back wall and it was quite distinct at which position was the best

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

antonio66 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:03 am I have my system placed across the corner of the room, my speakers are 8' apart at the moment with only a very slight toe in, having recently moved them slightly wider apart and closer to the wall: The manufacturer recommends starting at 1m away from the back wall, with my speakers angled at 45 degrees I've taken a measurement from the middle of the speaker to the wall, which is 25cm
Since The MadMick mentions Audio Physic speakers I remember a review in HiFi+ of a pair which imaged exceptionally well but were place much wider apart with plenty of toe in and the seating position was well forward, so it would seem there is no set rule, depends on your room, furnishings and speakers: I think it was Wilson speakers who suggested having someone to clap at different distances away from the back wall and it was quite distinct at which position was the best
How do you like it across a corner ? I couldn't get my head round it at first but I am warming to it very much now. I have found the speakers can go nearer the wall across a corner than when along one wall.

Having my system in a small living room with lots of life clutter and two primary age children, I don't have too many options. Trying to get good sound across two sofa's and four people means that speakers across one corner and two sofa's meeting in the opposite corner is the best solution for me.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The setup I have in the lounge used to be my main rig (until I sorted out a small music-room elsewhere). It is a space of about 4m x 6m with the speakers sat in the corners of the long side. Seating position is pretty well exactly in-between, facing away from the boxes. This installation is a Sonos Connect feeding Musette DAC, ancient NVA amps and vintage Arcam One speakers. Basically for background music whilst relaxing with a good book.

Because the speakers are so far apart the stereo image is a bit diffuse and furnishing requirements won't allow for any proper positioning but the sound is fine for what it is, big and spacious and thoroughly enjoyable for non-critical listening.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

My speakers are 10'6" apart. When measured from the centres of the midrange drivers.

I don't like having them closer together. As it sounds like I'm listening to a miniature, Liliput band. Instead of a human sized band stuffed into a pub stage.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:05 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

I like the sound of the speakers placed across the room and as you say they go closer to the wall, in fact I was speaking with my brother yesterday and saying the system has never sounded better: Stu, when you say "couldn't get your head round it at first", do you mean sound wise or looks wise?

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:10 am I like the sound of the speakers placed across the room and as you say they go closer to the wall, in fact I was speaking with my brother yesterday and saying the system has never sounded better: Stu, when you say "couldn't get your head round it at first", do you mean sound wise or looks wise?
Both looks and sound Dave.

I have never had such a deep soundstage and that took some getting used to. Also it seems quieter and more orderly. Some bass detail emerged that was previously hidden.

Loking at my diy system is never a pleasing affair but the main thing now is that there is no symmetry- to get that back I would need a corner unit for the electronics. You know when you do some really critical listening (say after a change) and look at the images between the speakers - well it seems really odd having the central image in a corner.

I had a balance issue with first. Changed channels over, swapped speakers over but all that seems to help is having one speaker slightly closer to the corner than the other. It's probably my dodgy hearing but sounds similar to when one of the four tweeters on one side 7s wired out of phase (yes I know what that sounds like :shifty: ).

Overall I like it very much especially the extra bass jnformation available and soundstage. The band does seem further away though.
DIY FREE ZONE

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Ok Stu did some measuring today. My Cube 2's are 3m centre to centre apart. 250mm off the rear wall to the centre. My listening seat is 3m exactly on the diagonal to each Cube centre. Both cubes are toed in so I can just see the inside faces and no more. So really a 3m equilateral triangle with my lugs at one of the points. Side walls are about 1m from each speaker. It's amazing how small changes in positioning of Cubes can make huge differences to the sound.
These users thanked the author Chunk McDaniel for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:22 pm)

antonio66
Great Britain

I do have a small unit with the hifi on top, placed across the corner Stu, which I'm very pleased with how it looks
When I get the speaker stands finished I'll get some photos done
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:04 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:55 pm My speakers are 10'6" apart. When measured from the centres of the midrange drivers.

I don't like having them closer together. As it sounds like I'm listening to a miniature, Liliput band. Instead of a human sized band stuffed into a pub stage.
Good points Lindsay . If I had mine that far apart (across a corner) then they would be10 ft along each wall and a bit too close for my liking. Russ Andrews is right though, there is no hole in the middle when you have them a decent distance apart.
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

The size and shape of your room will always dictate the placement of your speaker's. My main room is relatively small and L shaped. My Cubix speakers are one end of the vertical part of the L and I sit towards the other end. Centre to centre my Cubix are a mere 188 cm apart (rooms 300cm wide) and 17cm away from the rear wall. The length of the room is 460cm and I sit central 200 to 250cm from the speakers. Depending on what I am listening to and it's source, the sound ranges from good to stop what your doing good. My gut feel is it would sound even better in a larger room that wasn't so sparse and modern in its design.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables