The problem with the Ad-Hom rule on here?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: The problem with the Ad-Hom rule on here?

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm In my humble opinion the biggest problem on this forum is the posting style of one particular person.
As stated here.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Longdog PSU with Lenco GL75

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:48 am Been thinking about this. Now the subject seems to have moved to debating. The problem with the Ad-Hom rule on here (while it sounds like a good idea) is that it is easy to subvert. By answering the question but in a deliberately provocative and arsy fashion and repeating those posts to the point of annoyance, it becomes very hard to respond to those posts without triggering the ad-hom rule. Its a cunning debating technique, that makes use of the rules but generally is not (IMHO) in the interest of the forum.
Can you - or anyone else - give links to any particular examples?

My prediction is that for any and every example you give the answer would be either:
1 report excessive repetition for breaking the repetition rule,

or

2 there's a robust way in which you could answer without using ad hom.

My personal take on this is that the no ad hom was a cornerstone of the creation of this forum by Richard Dunn. And that it's a tradition that's well worth having.

There are forums that I don't like posting on. That's because the general pattern is:
OP starts a thread. I say something. Someone contradicts what I say. I repeat what I said with my reasons for saying what I said. They contradict me again. I rebuff their contradiction. They come out with childish, made up, wide of the mark personal insults.
In such a context these insults are always ad hom.

I can tolerate a wide variety of posting styles. I can tolerate conflict. I can even handle someone grossly misrepresenting what I've said. But personal insults, especially when I've just been talking about bloody hi-fi is not on and anyone doing so can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone coming out with personal insults on a regular basis does not deserve to be active on this hi-fi forum.

The nature of ad hominem on hi-fi forums is that it's almost always in the form of personal insults.

I want the no-ad hominem rule to remain on this forum.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
CN211276 (Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:51 pm)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm

If it's all about the content, then address the content.
I thought that's what I did, but sometimes it's difficult to separate the man and his words.

I think I've said enough on the subject now as I don't think what's been said so far will make things on here any different. :(

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Longdog PSU with Lenco GL75

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:32 am
savvypaul wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:04 am
Fretless wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am Constant repetition of points already made is irritating and a tactic used by politicians and lawyers to wear down the opposition and win an argument by default.
Rule 5 - No continuous repeating of the same post or the same point within a post.
I refer you to the "its now 10:31 on monday" types posts in the parent thread.
I found those posts quite amusing.
And they made a serious point in that the main frequency varies by - what 0.2%? Or something like that. Which when spread out over a number of hours would be beyond my ability to discern if they were directly related to variations in the speed of my turntable.
DQ was making a point in an original and readable and straightforward way.

The nature of his point meant that he had to make a number of posts at various times.

Sometimes repetition is necessary in order to make a point.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

And they made a serious point in that the main frequency varies by - what 0.2%? Or something like that.
And in the process was arguing with who? It was himself that brought up the matter of frequency, so he could then shoot it down.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:10 pm
savvypaul wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:02 pm

If it's all about the content, then address the content.
I thought that's what I did, but sometimes it's difficult to separate the man and his words.

I think I've said enough on the subject now as I don't think what's been said so far will make things on here any different. :(
The point of the thread is a frank and open discussion. That will always give us the best chance to make a difference, imo.

It is leaving things unsaid or merely hinted at that will cause stagnation and resentment.

We often have different views but I appreciate frankness. I get more annoyed when we dance around things.

I'm finding this discussion to be informative and helpful. Don't disappear just when we are starting to understand each other.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

valvesRus wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm In my humble opinion the biggest problem on this forum is the posting style of one particular person.
That is - actually - a huge compliment.

And a huge amount of thanks should be given to Richard Dunn for the whole ethos and culture he established in the first 9 years of this forum and in the way that savvypaul has taken on the baton and been the new owner of this forum since Richard's death.

I think that DQ's general posting style is fine.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
CN211276 (Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:55 pm)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:18 pm
And they made a serious point in that the main frequency varies by - what 0.2%? Or something like that.
And in the process was arguing with who? It was himself that brought up the matter of frequency, so he could then shoot it down.
What does it matter who he was arguing with?

Just let him say what he wants to say. Whilst you say what you want to say.

And as long as both of you stay within the simple rules of this forum, then it's all good as far I'm concerned.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Lurcher, you said it varied. That's it. You started it, I wouldn't have needed to post if you hadn't be so disengenous.
You said 'been trying to keep out of this, but the 50hz deos fluctuate, it deos so all the time'

That what's the first mention. You seem to have a jaundiced interpretation of me mentioning it first 😂

Any chance of an apology 🤣

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I said that as direct response to your post
Your lenco is not voltage dependant. It's runs of 50 hertz. This doesn't fluctuate even though voltage deos.
So, no.