Houdini

All general audio posts go here.
CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Re: Houdini

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

I have posted a link to a needle drop on Audio Addicts - a FLAC file. I have not done the without version, as I really can not be bothered to take the Houdini off again. With the Houdini on, the music seems snappier, and better focused to me. Most importantly, it sounds more “real”. Obviously, I have never had the band in my listening space, so I do not know if that is true. This is with a MM cartridge - EPC-U205 and Jico Neo SAS.

One thing for sure though, is that I did not buy a Houdini because I was unhappy with my system. A lot of people seemed to like it from the needle drops I did. :lol:

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I am also in circa £100 camp for "tweaks" and no matter what is merits the Houdini are, it is to my way of thinking more of a "tweak" than a new design or breakthrough because its perceived benefit relies heavily on its interface between the cartridge and headshell and arm. Given the huge choice of cartridges and to a lesser degree headshells/arms it's always going to be a suck it and see exercise if you think £300 is ok .
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
savvypaul (Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:58 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Yes, £300 is expensive.
But how much is a tone arm upgrade?

Certain users state that they were looking at better tone arms, but since buying a Houdini they are now looking at phono stages and cartridges instead. I am not one of them, as I already own one of the best tone arms for an SL1200.
Sure, the SL1200 is not the best audiophile deck, but it gets the job done.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CaterhamKev wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am I have posted a link to a needle drop on Audio Addicts - a FLAC file. I have not done the without version, as I really can not be bothered to take the Houdini off again. With the Houdini on, the music seems snappier, and better focused to me. Most importantly, it sounds more “real”. Obviously, I have never had the band in my listening space, so I do not know if that is true. This is with a MM cartridge - EPC-U205 and Jico Neo SAS.

One thing for sure though, is that I did not buy a Houdini because I was unhappy with my system. A lot of people seemed to like it from the needle drops I did. :lol:
But then you stated you didn't like it when used with the Denon 103.

If the Houdini were sold with your tonearm and I advised you to remove it, and your 103 sounded better for it, would you give me the £300? :lol:

Or is the 103 the 'wrong' cartridge?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

CaterhamKev wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:03 am Yes, £300 is expensive.
But how much is a tone arm upgrade?
This is always an interesting one. If your turntable were badly set up and I set it up properly for you, it might take me 30 minutes...but you would experience a dramatic improvement for the rest of time. Would £30 for 30 minutes work be fair? Or should I charge £500 for the dramatic benefit?

Examining material value is sensible, imo.
I am in the hi-fi trade

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

savvypaul wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 am
CaterhamKev wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am I have posted a link to a needle drop on Audio Addicts - a FLAC file. I have not done the without version, as I really can not be bothered to take the Houdini off again. With the Houdini on, the music seems snappier, and better focused to me. Most importantly, it sounds more “real”. Obviously, I have never had the band in my listening space, so I do not know if that is true. This is with a MM cartridge - EPC-U205 and Jico Neo SAS.

If the Houdini were sold with your tonearm and I advised you to remove it, and your 103 sounded better for it, would you give me the £300? :lol:

The Houdini seems to use some kind of sprung suspension.
My theory is that the weight pushes the decoupling outside of the limits of what it was designed for. It is only my theory, based on spring behaviour. They are usually specified for a certain weight range.

I am actually think of getting rid of the 103 and a few other carts to buy a better cartridge. I have too many.

savvypaul
Great Britain

CaterhamKev wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:22 am
savvypaul wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 am

The Houdini seems to use some kind of sprung suspension.
My theory is that the weight pushes the decoupling outside of the limits of what it was designed for. It is only my theory, based on spring behaviour. They are usually specified for a certain weight range.

I am actually think of getting rid of the 103 and a few other carts to buy a better cartridge. I have too many.
You've been in touch with FF. Does the designer of the Houdunnit have an answer? It's marketed as 'universal' isn't it?
I am in the hi-fi trade

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Yes, I have been in touch with FF. he has asked me to return it so he can understand what is going on, but asked me to wait a few days as they are extremely busy. This is when I offered him my 103 so he can see what is happening.

I am not sure it is marketed as universal. I have not seen any specifications for it. That would suggest that one size (or two, as there are two different models depending on cartridge type) does indeed fit all.

savvypaul
Great Britain

On Arthur's Facebook page he states...

"I knew Houdini would be in the firing line. Convention be damned, it is my most contentious idea to date and you lot don’t like it. - Any wonder it languished in a drawer for 18 years!"

My suggestion is that it sat in the drawer for 18 years because sometimes it has a positive effect and sometimes it has a negative effect.

I suggest it came out of the drawer because needs must.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:52 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Why do you look for a new wife, hammer or job.

Dissatisfaction or inquisition.

Believing that a 300 quid insert between cartridge and tonearm can transform your system is ludicrous. If you are open to the idea then ipso facto you are dissatisfied.

And finally 'I won't trouble the forum with my reasons' 😂😂😂😂😜
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.