The Driver/Enclosure relationship

A place for DIY project discussions.
Docfoster
Wales

Re: The Driver/Enclosure relationship

Unread post by Docfoster »

A passive electronic crossover enables me to adjust very precisely, to my so subjective tastes, and in an easily reversible way, both the operating frequency range and the relative dB level of a driver. In my experience, these things can be attributed less faithfully to doping.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post:
NSNO2021 (Mon May 04, 2020 3:03 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Doc Foster, thats legitimate but a different argument. Though, personally I can't get past the harm a xover deos.

Vinylrus, nah.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm Doc Foster, thats legitimate but a different argument. Though, personally I can't get past the harm a xover deos.

Vinylrus, nah.
Saying nah, does not make it so DQ. In fact it means sweet FA.

Daniel Quinn

You asked me could I provide a link. I gave you my answer. Your post-more than usual-makes no sense.

Docfoster
Wales

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm Doc Foster, thats legitimate but a different argument. Though, personally I can't get past the harm a xover deos.
A personal taste thing I suppose. Probably slightly different costs and benefits for each.
Also , I should disclose my preference for 3 way speakers, for which I suspect strictly preventing the woofer from talking over the midrange may make crossovers very much the preferred choice for me.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Currently I'm using modified wharfedale dovedale. Scans peak tweeter with just a cap. Audax midrange with a 100uf cap and an inductor and the original 12inch bass driver which is doped.

Docfoster
Wales

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:31 pm Currently I'm using modified wharfedale dovedale. Scans peak tweeter with just a cap. Audax midrange with a 100uf cap and an inductor and the original 12inch bass driver which is doped.
So a bit of both?
Similarly, I've left the woofer running full range on my Magisters. But to my ears it contaminates the midrange. I feel a bit purist about the old gals tho so I leave it open. Could dope the woofers further, but IME whilst doping does seem subjectively to trim down the top end of a driver's active range (which in this case is what I want), it also reduces the overall sensitivity which in this case I don't want, as the bottom end is spot on.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:33 pm Though, personally I can't get past the harm a xover does.
I don't think I can either.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:31 pm Currently I'm using modified wharfedale dovedale. Scans peak tweeter with just a cap. Audax midrange with a 100uf cap and an inductor and the original 12inch bass driver which is doped.
Is there any reason you decided to put a cap and inductor on the mid range driver rather than dope it too ?
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Docfoster wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:45 pm
So a bit of both?
Similarly, I've left the woofer running full range on my Magisters. But to my ears it contaminates the midrange. I feel a bit purist about the old gals tho so I leave it open. Could dope the woofers further, but IME whilst doping does seem subjectively to trim down the top end of a driver's active range (which in this case is what I want), it also reduces the overall sensitivity which in this case I don't want, as the bottom end is spot on.
If the bass driver was pointed in a direction other than directly at the listening position (e.g upwards) then maybe you could get away with leaving it running full range.
DIY FREE ZONE