It's so Ethereal

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: It's so Ethereal

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CN211276 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 pm I have looked at the many used Cisco industrial switching devices on Ebay selling cheaply which are expensive new and wonder what effect they would have. I will keep an open mind and watching brief, my priority being a high quality ethernet cable.
Whilst I'm no CCNA, I have installed hundreds of Cisco switches over the years and it would be a trivial task for me to configure one for home use.

I'd be happy to help anyone on this forum put a basic config onto a Cisco or a HP Procurve switch should they wish to go down this route.

For the high quality cable, you can buy 500 metre reels of (non-flat) cat 7 cable off ebay for £150. You'd then need 2 plugs per cable.
Crimping tools are cheap.

Or you can buy round ready made cat 7 cables off ebay for £5 for a 3 metre length.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Fretless, this audiophile switch that you've bought. What are you comparing it against?
What were you using before? Did everything go via the 4 x RJ45 sockets on the back of your home router?
Or did you have some hub or switch before? If so, what make and model?

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:51 pm Fretless, this audiophile switch that you've bought. What are you comparing it against?
What were you using before? Did everything go via the 4 x RJ45 sockets on the back of your home router?
Or did you have some hub or switch before? If so, what make and model?

Was using Netgear GS108E gigabit switch.

It is a good switch and way better than the cheapo Dixons ones I had before.
Have 3 models from that Netgear range in use throughout the house/business.

First thing I noticed is that the Silent Angel switch is CONSIDERABLY faster.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Lindsayt
Nauru

Did you ever check the config on the Netgear switch to see what speeds the ports were set at?
And if it was auto did you try setting it to 1000 Mbps on the device NIC and corresponding switch port for your critical devices?
To see if it speeded things up, whilst still being reliable? And also to see if that made any sonic difference?

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

One or two of you are hinting that some of these products you talk of are being dismissed as bollocks or snake oil. There doesn't seem to be that sort of behaviour going on here. I presume it must be happening on the more objectivist forums or blogs ?

All this talk of cables, switches, jitter bugs, re clockers makes me happy that i have merely a cdp with no digital out and where the I2s digital signal has less than two centimeters to travel along three or four pcb tracks from decoder chip to the dac chip. Job done.

I wonder why similar can't be achieved with file based music, or may be it can ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:48 am Did you ever check the config on the Netgear switch to see what speeds the ports were set at?
And if it was auto did you try setting it to 1000 Mbps on the device NIC and corresponding switch port for your critical devices?
To see if it speeded things up, whilst still being reliable? And also to see if that made any sonic difference?
Good points here, lindsay.

Despite being reasonably technical and an ex It-professional, I wouldn't have a clue about changing the settings of a switch, just like many others.

Looking at the video review mentioned earlier where they take the lid off the device and look inside; the Silent Angel has 32 sets of inductance correction and separate galvanic isolators for all of the individual lines within the 8 ports and a special layer in the case to reduce EM levels. Plus a high-grade clocking TCXO crystal for ultra-precision signal transfer.

I don't think normal manufacturers would bother as the need to reduce this sort of interference in the average network simply isn't there.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Fretless wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm The cable I ordered today is an AQ Cinnamon 5m Ethernet link for the Tinkerboard on the main system.

Hope it's in soon. :dance:
Very interested in your findings as this is the cable I am considering. The specs seem closest to the Carbon USB cable which brought about an improvement.

Yesterday I ordered a new router/hub which should arrive tomorrow. I am upgrading my Sky 2013 model to the 2019 with a broadband boost. Dont know if it will have any effect on SQ. Only £30 and as part of a new contract Sky are reducing my subscription by £10 for the next 18 months. :grin: Wish they were more open about such deals.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

On the snake oil and bollocks thing.

It's a long tradition of this forum that the sound of all hi-fi equipment is relative.

That equipment reviews in isolation are pretty meaningless.
That comparative reviews are much more meaningful.

So that in this thread, a Silent Angel Bonn 8 switch with one shortish AQ Forest LAN Cat 7 cable has been compared against an unconfigured Netgear GS108E with a so far unspecified LAN cable that might be Cat 5E, Cat 6 or Cat 7?

A considerable improvement in speed has been noticed with the Silent Angel.

So far we can say that a Silent Angel 8 with an AQ Cat 7 cable sounds better for over the network music than an unconfigured Netgear GS108E with an unspecified LAN cable. Nothing more nothing less.
There's no snake oil or bollocks there.

I also note that in the Pusuit Perfect System video on page 1 of this thread, that it is done as a non comparative review.
I've not spotted what the £4000 switch was being compared against.
Edi: just found the answer in the comments section of that video. He was comparing the £4000 switch with bespoke cat 7 cables against his existing cables (possibly cat 5e) into his router! Which will probably be a £30 consumer grade broadband router.

The vast majority of homes use just the router or some cheapo hub or consumer grade non-configured switch for their LAN connections.
Which is fine.

Anyway, A Silent Angel 8 with one AQ Cat 7 cable is the current reigning bake-off champion.
Let's see if it can be beaten for either outright sound quality or sound quality per pound spent by a properly configured Netgear GS108E (possibly with Cat 6 or Cat 7 cabling throughout the LAN). And if it can't, let's see of it can be beaten by a configured Cisco business gigabit switch with Cat 6 or 7 cabling. If the switch has to be in the same room as the speakers, we'd better make it a fanless one (at likely additional cost).

Configuring a Netgear GS108E looks easy enough: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files ... _UM_EN.pdf

Fretless
Netherlands

You're making me work!

Don't have time to look at that properly before the weekend. And the Netgear switch has already been put into service elsewhere.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Lindsayt
Nauru

That's fine. It's your system, your money and your time.

Just thinking, it'd be nice to get to the bottom of the slower speed from the Netgear issue. To see if it's down to the configuration or a limitation of the Netgear switch or the cabling.

And the great thing about threads like this is that they stimulate experimentation...

BTW, the cheapest business grade gigabit fanless switches I've found so far on ebay are priced at £30.