Amps - Whats in em and why?

All general audio posts go here.
Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Amps - Whats in em and why?

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Afternoon all,

I'm pretty lost when it comes to all the technical jingo that many of you guys can talk, especially on the DIY threads. Although I do like to read em I wouldn't mind understanding a bit more. So this had me thinking when I read some of the latest bumf on a new amplifier to be released what the hell it all means and does my amp have such components? I'm currently sporting a pair of A80s MkII mono blocks in my system of which I adore.

So if you read the excerpt below, what then is or the benefit of;
    • Polypropylene capacitors
      • K-Power reserve capacitors
        • An output stage using 4 x 160w Sanken output transistors. Are Sanken even a good brand.
          • And secondly looking inside said Amplfier there just one big trodial transformer? Is this really the best way 1 x big I thought NVA Amps had multiples of on either input or output?
          Yours with appreciation...... Mr confused. :grin:

Chris (Hemmo)
          ImageImage

Daniel Quinn

Re: Amps - Whats in em and why?

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You pays your money takes your pick.

The manufacturer of Transistors for me don't effect sound.

The manufacturer Power supply capacitors for me don't effect the sound.

The doc changed the size and number of power supplies as you got up the range.

I wouldn't expect this integrated to sound as good as a passive and mono block power amps made by the doc
          Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

valvesRus
          Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:18 pm
          I wouldn't expect this integrated to sound as good as a passive and mono block power amps.
          Why would that be ?

The NVA amps only work well with passives 'cos the amp has more gain to compensate.(as told me by Richard).

Daniel Quinn

The integrated as loads of design features which negate the sound.

valvesRus
          Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:47 pm The integrated as loads of design features which negate the sound.
          Such as ?

Daniel Quinn

You pays your money, you take your pick

valvesRus
          Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm You pays your money, you take your pick
          Indeed, but it's not actually an answer to the question. ;)

TheMadMick
          ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

valvesRus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:54 pm
          Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm You pays your money, you take your pick
          Indeed, but it's not actually an answer to the question. ;)
          As is so often the case, both of you are right. Taking power supplies away from sensitive circuitry is a really good idea. Keeping all the circuits in one box makes earthing easier and avoids offsets. Integrated is not always bad - depends how it is engineered.

Unfortunately neither of you answer the fundamental question. Here we go for amplifiers 101:

The big round thing in the middle is a transformer. The black pillars are capacitors usually associated with the power supply (there are smaller ones in there somewhere). The green things behind the volume knob are the circuit boards where all the really clever stuff goes on. The output transistors are bolted to the heat sinks on either side of the case. The sides are fluted to allow heat dissipation from these output transistors to stop them frying.

I'm sure there's a lot more others could add, but this is a start (provided I have it right!!). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
          Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

zebbo
          Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Why is it that some designs have literally thousands of components crammed into the case while others make do with a couple of dozen??
          Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Geoff.R.G
          Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

zebbo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 pm Why is it that some designs have literally thousands of components crammed into the case while others make do with a couple of dozen??
          Usually more components mean there is something else than amplification going on; remote control of input selection and remote volume control for example. Some amplifiers will have additional gain stages to allow low output devices, such as tuners, to be accommodated without needing to adjust the volume when switching between inputs. A phono input will also add gain and equalisation stages (these equalisation stages are required because of how a magnetic pick-up cartridge works so they can't be removed). Then there may be tone controls and filters, both of which purists have been avoiding for many years. Finally, there is the amplifier design, how it achieves the required gain and output level, which may add additional components, assuming it is all transistor, valves are another matter.