Measuring speakers for numpties

A place for DIY project discussions.
Latteman
Great Britain

Re: Measuring speakers for numpties

Unread post by Latteman »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm For pretty rough measurements you can use a phone app called spectrum analyser,
Quite a few on App Store- any further recommendations- ru apple or android
I’m apple
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 am Hey Lindsay. All i was going to do was a simple frequency response. Turns out it's not that simple after all. Read a Tony L thread of 11 pages on pfm and it put me right off.
Could you invite someone round to your house that has done measurements before and get them to do it?

If not, and if you don't fancy measuring it yourself - which is entirely understandable - then you can always continue to "measure" your system with your ears.

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

All I can say is if you have as you say a Lap Top , REW Software (Free prvided you sign up tp the AV Forum) and the MiniDSP Mic 1 then you can take as good a measurement with those as you would ever need .

Simple mearsuremnet would be a full frequency sweep with the Mic on a stand one meter from one of your speakers with Mic located inline with your Mid Range unit if you have a three way or between your treble and bass driver if not .

You can then just push the button and it will make a reading . Being able to then read and understand that reading is another matter altogether and it would be best if you could vist someone who has done this type of thing before and go over it with them or if they could come to you .

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I'm using a huawei android phone, no other recommendations tbh, that app was the one I got on with best
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Bencat57 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:40 pm All I can say is if you have as you say a Lap Top , REW Software (Free prvided you sign up tp the AV Forum) and the MiniDSP Mic 1 then you can take as good a measurement with those as you would ever need .

Simple mearsuremnet would be a full frequency sweep with the Mic on a stand one meter from one of your speakers with Mic located inline with your Mid Range unit if you have a three way or between your treble and bass driver if not .

You can then just push the button and it will make a reading . Being able to then read and understand that reading is another matter altogether and it would be best if you could vist someone who has done this type of thing before and go over it with them or if they could come to you .
Thanks for the advice Ben. My speakers are 3 way semi omni with only the tweeter firing forwards at the moment. Where to put the mic ? I haven't a clue apart from putting in in the listening position.
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Jeez Stu. :naughty: This has prompted me out of my lurking cave. Look at your signature - trust your ears, that's all ya need man.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Alfi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 pm Jeez Stu. :naughty: This has prompted me out of my lurking cave. Look at your signature - trust your ears, that's all ya need man.

Alfi.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I have already seen the error of my ways. If nothing else this thread has got you out of retirement :grin: Don't worry I won't be doing it. I realised I have got much better things to be doing like building another amp and doing more speaker prototypes.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The frequency response is a must measurement for speaker builders, to augment your ears

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:08 pm
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I have already seen the error of my ways. If nothing else this thread has got you out of retirement :grin: Don't worry I won't be doing it. I realised I have got much better things to be doing like building another amp and doing more speaker prototypes.

Stu
That's good to hear Stu!
ATB
Alfi.
Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm The frequency response is a must measurement for speaker builders, to augment your ears
and what will that tell you that's actually meaningful to you?

Did you do it with your Doc modded AP2's and what did you learn from the exercise that you didn't know before by just listening?
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I done it with every pair I have, particularly those which I have done the doping