Better transformers and capacitors for NVA amplifiers

savvypaul
Great Britain

Better transformers and capacitors for NVA amplifiers

Unread post by savvypaul » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am

Why are you fitting upgraded transformers and capacitors to NVA amplifiers?

As you go up the NVA range the differences in performance are driven by upgrades to the power supply. The basic circuit remains the same. Fitting better transformers and capacitors will provide a cleaner, faster and quieter power supply. Richard and Tomasz had discussed this at length for the Black Box range and Richard had wanted to implement this improvement, when funds allowed.

Users will get a better NVA amplifier, both in our opinion and in Richard's, and the upgrades are entirely consistent with the NVA design philosophy. For example, here are the 4 main differences between the Statement and Black Box ranges:

1. Upgraded and larger transformers
2. Larger, better quality capacitors
3. Additional smoothing capacitors
4. Aesthetics

But some transformers are now 150va instead of 160va?

The slight difference in rating is vastly outweighed by the transformer quality.

Why are you doing it now?

Firstly, because we believe the Toroidy transformers offer a significantly improved specification and performance at a price point that was not previously possible. Secondly, we have the funds to stock a sufficient number of the upgraded transformers. Thirdly, NVA prices had to rise to account for the costs of making NVA into a 'proper' business, again. Knowing this had to happen, we wanted to ease the transition, a little.

When can we hear the new versions?

The first batch of A20s, A60s, A70s & A80s will be available at the beginning of November.

Can the upgraded transformers and capacitors be fitted to my existing NVA amplifier?

In some cases, yes. But it is a fairly lengthy procedure as the old parts have to be carefully chiselled away from the case. Tomasz will double check viability for each model and work out costs.

In some cases, no. For example, the MKII A80 cases do not have enough space for the new transformers that will be fitted in the MKIII version.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Re: Better transformers and capacitors for NVA amplifiers

Unread post by Colin Wonfor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:33 am

Just a tip, get the winding random placed not neat in a ring this reduce stray mag fields, we did the at Inca Tech and it made a amazing difference to pickup hum.
It can be done so imagine it.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:46 am

Colin Wonfor wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:33 am
Just a tip, get the winding random placed not neat in a ring this reduce stray mag fields, we did the at Inca Tech and it made a amazing difference to pickup hum.
Thanks, Colin.

I will pass that info on to Tomasz.

29mile

Unread post by 29mile » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Sounds an excellent upgrade to NVA amps which will retain same signature sound as the board is unchanged. So whilst prices may have gone up for obvious reasons sound quality will too.
I think Richard was always very cost conscious with components using best available at his set price points. But Tom has now taken over the NVA mantle and deserves every support for his ( and Richard's ) development ideas.

Hemmo1969
Great Britain

Unread post by Hemmo1969 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Great NEWS that you guys are looking into the possibility of upgrading

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Yes, good look with these upgrades.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Interesting.
Would it be possible to replace the transformers in Statement PSU's and BBPSU ? (don't know what size they are but pretty big). I have six of the buggers and even with a mains regenerator and BMU my system still sounds like a small sub-station!
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME V / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA TAS, NVA Cubix-Pro, (top & mid sections). (Oh and Richard's Sony CDP-X779ES, (if I can fix it), for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

TheMadMick
St Patrick's Saltire

Unread post by TheMadMick » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 pm

zebbo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:34 pm
Interesting.
Would it be possible to replace the transformers in Statement PSU's and BBPSU ? (don't know what size they are but pretty big). I have six of the buggers and even with a mains regenerator and BMU my system still sounds like a small sub-station!
A bit off topic but try a DC blocker. It transformed my set up. Almost as big an improvement as the BMU.

ATL are really good to deal with and I put in one of theirs. Best to be done before Brexit. :mrgreen:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200.

Daniel Quinn
Wales

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Replacing them would be an appreciable loss of va.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 pm

The VA loss will not affect anything, the transformers are over specced anyway, 10va difference will not change the sound in any way.
A better built transformer may affect the sound in some way but it will not be because of the VA rating
BTE designs type 2 lenco, Audio Technica AT1100 dynavector dv20a2 (his), JVC QL-Y5F HANA sl (hers)
Benedict audio hothead mm phono stage with borrowed LDA ha1 mc stepup
BTE designs type 1 custom Khozmo shunt build passive pre
PASS F5 dual mono Power amp
modified Philips cd371
Squeezebox classic
fane 15" sb speakers
BTE designs balanced power supply