Music we listen to

All music posts here please.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Music we listen to

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Have spent some time wondering why I listen to what I do and why, why does anyone? For me it was an old radiogram in the 60s at
home(yes I am that old) followed by capital radio, in the car and much in between, Paul gabaccini as I remember the real big influence ? First hearing of many things but one that stands out is "born to run" rushed out and ordered the album! Old grey whistle test, little feat, rye colder the list is endless. Ted nugent,rye cooder, Joan armertrading and many more at what was Hammersmith odeon! Eagles, Bruce Springsteen, billy joel , Wembley. All of these things formed the basics of what I listen to. The list now would take to long! So, what triggered you?

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Music we listen to

Unread post by Fretless »

This is a tough one to answer.

Mainly, my early musical taste was formed in the late 60's/ early 70's where I would sometimes spend weeks at a time bed-ridden (chronic asthma) and have only a little transistor radio for company - permanently tuned to BBC Radio 1. My earliest memories are more aural than visual and The Beatles played a major role there.

Early schooldays: the music lessons were often filled with Classical recordings like 'The Ride of the Valkyries' , 'New World Symphony; , 'Enigma Variations' and the like.

Then secondary school with a tidal wave of Rock / Punk / general weirdness. Music was my escape there - sometimes the only way to get some peace and quiet was to put headphones on and block out the row everyone else was making.

My music tastes have turned out to be wide and eclectic. There is a lot of stuff I like - and a lot of stuff I don't. As time has passed I find myself less interested with discovering ' the new' but focus on digging deeper into areas that I already know. This is throwing up much interesting and enjoyable material that I had never got around to before.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

My early influence was Neil diamond from an older sister
Then it was the boys on the estate with their Getto blasters and AC/DC Back in Black belting out, moving into the 80s I found Queen, 90s was Del Amitri
These formed the basis of my music taste and are 3 of my fav albums
Neil diamond- Hot August Night
Queen-Night at the Opera
Del Amitri- Waking Hours
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

I started active listening to music when I was ten. Before I only listened to audio drama cassettes. It was the Beatles records of my father that made me a big fan of that band. After listening to all they produced, and never missing one of their movies on TV, I began to explore the rest of Dad's collection. A lot of things like Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin, Joe Cocker, Manfred Mann, Supertramp, good Classical and Jazz recordings where to be found at my mothers.... . And then came Punk to my live in the first half of the eighties and a really excessive time started full of concerts, parties and sleepless nights. I never stuck to only style of music. I have my periods of listening to this or that. And I'm always happy finding pleasant music I didn't knew before.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I suppose it was the Beatles and the Stones mostly, but thanks to Radio Luxembourg and the pirate stations of the 1960s I got to hear a decent variety of music. Sixties radio was a lottery, they'd quite happily play the Stones followed by Ken Dodd, and Vince Hill, and then The Troggs, or The Who. When I got my first transistor radio my whole world changed for the better. My musical tastes(?) now run the gamut from Classical through Country, Prog, Ambient, and Beyond.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

It all started for me in the late 60s with Radio 1 on a transistor. Would never miss Alan Freeman's top 20 show on a Sunday evening. In the early 70s I also listened to Radio Luxembourg. I had a friend who was older than me and he introduced be to the Beatles, always playing their records when we played Subbuteo. :grin: I thought they were amazing and this was the time when they were splitting up. I was devistated and my friend blamed Yoko. Glam rock would fill the void and Top Of The Pops was the highlight of the week. There was an annoy your parents element to this as new bands would appear looking more and more outrageous. I got into Bowie in a big way as there was more substance to his music and I bought all of his albums. Things expanded in the mid 70s when I discovered the likes of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Queen. Punk did not do that much for me but NWOBHM which followed did. I got into hevier music in the 80s and went to a lot of concerts. I consider the 90s to be a musical desert compared to what was happening before. The presnt decade has seen things pick up and I have been broadening my horizons. This has been helped by streaming and my retirement two years ago which has provided me with far more time to play music. I am discovering things I missed out on in previous decades as well as todays rock.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

Good question Om, like yourself my grandads radiogram held a great facination for me mid Sixties, I must have scratched his 78s to buggery.

But it wasn't till the 70s that my interest in music and hifi really kicked off.......Via the likes of

The Eagles, Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Bowie, Queen, Supertramp, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Kate Bush, Alex Harvey, Alice Cooper, Slade Nazareth, T Rex etc all wowed me untill the event of Punk.....

Ramones, NY Dolls, Sex Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Jam, Stranglers, X Ray Specs, Rezillos, Damned, The Tubes, SLF, Ian Dury, Lou Reed etc took me into the 80s......

Enter - Police, U2, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Sade, Grace Jones, Springsteen, Marley, Waterboys, Prince, Tears for Fears, Talking Heads etc.......

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Yeah similar Mid Sixties Mums old valve radiogram and a wealth of old Glenn Millar records sowed the seed for me. Been a fan to a degree ever since.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Love that list, Jammy.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Me too. All very familiar. Except U2 and Bruce Springsteen and partly Dire Straits - I never liked that.