My latest obsession

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: My latest obsession

Unread post by karatestu »

View from the driver's seat.

My OCD kicked in with the drum sizes. All even numbers- 12", 14", 16" & 18" toms, 14" Premier 2001 parallel action snare drum and 20" or 22" kick drum.

Cymbals cost me a small fortune over the years. They are all Zildjian (ofc) and all bought new by me. The hi hats, ride and the two smaller cymbals are over 20 years old. The two bigger crashes about 10 years old. I have a good range of sounds and pitches with this kit. Still a lot of work to do on it but i will get there in the end. A bit of rust removal on the pearl drums is in order too.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

How to change an ordinary Pearl Export bass drum in to a free floating design with no metal touching the wooden shell.

All fittings removed (tuning lugs, tom holders, spurs) and some nice brass rods which i have put threads on the end and locking nuts. Both heads are at the same tension and no hardware touching the shell. It sounds killer but one small snag - the brass rods rattle a bit when you kick the drum hard. Can't be having that so thinking hat went on again...................

There is a solution and it is all in hand but you will have to wait for the next instalment of pimp my drum kit to find out. You might be thinking why am i posting all this on a hifi forum and not on a drumming forum where the people are actually interested ?

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm loving the green, Stu. Makes a change from boring black or blue. Have you seen the Natal "Green Fade" kits? Their Maple & Bubinga is very cool too, and as for their Piano Black & Orange Sparkle double bass-drum set... :o
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:34 pm I'm loving the green, Stu. Makes a change from boring black or blue. Have you seen the Natal "Green Fade" kits? Their Maple & Bubinga is very cool too, and as for their Piano Black & Orange Sparkle double bass-drum set... :o
Green just happens to be my favourite colour. Yes it makes a nice change from the usual black, red or white. I need to remove the wrap on my big bass drum and two floor toms so i can add birch veneer and stain and lacquer them like the other drums. A lot of work but a bit at a time i will get there eventually.

I have seen the Natal kits. Very nice but these days i am more interested in how things sound rather than how they look. Natal were a very good maker of drums. They got bought out by Marshall though and the big business mentality emerged soon after. They don't make the high end kits that they used to anymore which is a real shame. The range has been streamlined and probably cheapened too. Saying all that they would still be on my audition list if i had to buy a new drum kit.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

brilliant bit of kit, many, many years ago was involved in a band (not a drummer) but ours insisted and got a ludwig ? blue pearl kit zyldjian cymbals, talking late 70s/ early 80s here, sounded fantastic to me! he later went on to too play with spooky tooth, I believe?

karatestu
Great Britain

Playing tonight at The Mason's Arms in Ackworth which is between Pontefract, Wakefield, Barnsley and Doncaster.

Come along if you want to Rock tonight (and you are local with nowt to do). :character-beavisbutthead:

I'm not driving so can sample some ales. Anyone from here who turns up i will buy a pint :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Well, played the gig and it went down a storm.The people of Ackworth certainly love their music. I announced a competition that the best dancing won a pint. Got a few people up on the dance floor and i indeed did buy the winner a pint. I must admit to being biased though. It was definitely a female who was very aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway none of you miserable sods turned up. :cry: :cry:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

karatestu wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:16 am Anyway none of you miserable sods turned up. :cry: :cry:
If I was still living in Selby or 'Uddersfield I would have got there - slight problem nowadays with the North Sea in the way ...
Glad you had a good time Stu. :grin: :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks. I didn't really expect anybody to come. Just having a laugh. Didn't know you lived in Selby Fretless. Just a stones throw from where i live. Did you used to frequent any pubs there? Abbey Vaults is one i remember getting thrown out of for being too drunk. Many years ago i might add.

Got to learn another rubbish track for a first dance at the next wedding. Better Together by Jack Johnson. Not much drumming in it - suits me :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE