Why do you post on forums

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Why do you post on forums

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 am
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:08 am Sometimes I post on forums as a form of mildly masochistic personal entertainment.

Like in this thread where some of the posters think that all old speakers are a load of wank.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/speake ... t-27273135
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spouting :Bllocks: such as this is a reason why many post on forums. See so much of it.
Jeez I just had a look at that link and I’ve never read such :Bllocks: in my life. :lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

At least Lindsay is trying to educate these people. It is funny reading such things.

I am increasingly becoming interested in forum behaviour. The little clique's and gangs that spring up with members forever sucking each others cock's, always agreeing with each other and hounding out new comers or people who have different views. Human behaviour is fascinating especially concerning middle aged plus OCD audiophiles with more money and time on their hands than sense.

Arguments, a member gets banned and flounces are like car crashes, you can't help but look and sometimes have a bit of a laugh if nobody got hurt too badly.

Follow the pack, sheep follow sheep. The Mick Parry outbursts on PFM, often aimed at bodgers (and Les W) who had the cheek to take a soldering iron to a beloved piece of Naim equipment and in the process let out the magic Salisbury air contained within.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The psychology behind hi fi and hi fi forums is more interesting than hi fi itself.

Cliques aren't so bad when collectively they possess some knowledge or wisdom.

When they are based on ignorance or false premises, I sometimes can't help poking them, like a kid poking an ants nest with a stick.

I think that forum psychology gets most interesting when two people have had a blazing row with entrenched views on both sides and then get together for a bake off. How the loser reacts can be entertaining or funny or confounding or - in the best examples full of integrity and highly positive.
Although the trouble is, with some forums, there are too many "I'm right and you're wrongers" and not enough 'bakers'.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Correct me if I'm wrong but "i'm right and you're wrongers" was quite often stated on this forum a few times by the man who started it? Fortunately most of the time he was right, not something most of us can lay claim to. People are people and seldom think the advice they ask for is correct! Like it or not.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Yeah but Richard backed it up with being active on the bake-off scene, which put him firmly in the baker category.

It was a case of "I'm right and you're wrong and I'll back it up by letting you hear what I'm talking about".

As opposed to "I'm right and you're wrong (because of something I've read in a Floyd Toole book in the case of that AVForum thread :lol: ) and I'm not interested in meeting up with you to demonstrate what I'm talking about" - eg some super duper modern speaker that pisses over anything from 50 years ago. :bulls1:

And on the one (rare) occasion that Richard didn't win a bake-off he was very gracious about it and demonstrated integrity and honesty of the highest order at the bake-off and in the aftermath for years to come.

Whenever there was an area on hi-fi that Richard wasn't sure about, he wouldn't make up some bullshit, he'd admit to limited knowledge and keep an open mind.

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:57 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but "i'm right and you're wrongers" was quite often stated on this forum a few times by the man who started it? Fortunately most of the time he was right, not something most of us can lay claim to.
i'm always right.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

joe wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 pm
Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:57 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but "i'm right and you're wrongers" was quite often stated on this forum a few times by the man who started it? Fortunately most of the time he was right, not something most of us can lay claim to.
i'm always right.
Nah...I know what speakers you use.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Agreed 100% the trouble is every individual interpretation of what is "right for them" can be vastly different. What any individual hears cannot be considered right or wrong, just different. Some are better placed to give the opinion that "this sounds better" to them but that doesn't mean it's a fact or will be better for everyone, after all its purely subjective and if people's opinions are different, so what, it doesn't make them a fool and imo that's where most forum's fail..

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 pm
joe wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 pm
i'm always right.
Nah...I know what speakers you use.
Actually, I'm not using any speakers at the moment. Both systems have been dismantled ahead of major redecoration.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:55 pm Agreed 100% the trouble is every individual interpretation of what is "right for them" can be vastly different. What any individual hears cannot be considered right or wrong, just different. Some are better placed to give the opinion that "this sounds better" to them but that doesn't mean it's a fact or will be better for everyone, after all its purely subjective and if people's opinions are different, so what, it doesn't make them a fool and imo that's where most forum's fail..
Yes i agree. If you read hifi forums for long enough then you eventually learn who to listen to and who to ignore. Even then there is still the fact that you must try it for yourself to be truly sure. I have never been a box swapper and have only been to one bake off which i left early Turns out it was a farce with people bending the truth to suit their own agenda. I have had very limited exposure to kit so never listen to my opinion. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE