My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by savvypaul »

Chaps, please address the content of the post, not the poster. Play the ball, not the man.

And, a bit of mutual respect and good grace wouldn't go amiss. It's only hi-fi, after all.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

:lol: :guiness;

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm Chaps, please address the content of the post, not the poster. Play the ball, not the man.

And, a bit of mutual respect and good grace wouldn't go amiss. It's only hi-fi, after all.
Well moderated. :)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:10 pm Dsjr your post sums up your superior attitude and you say I was trolling.

ADMIN EDIT - address the content of the post, not the poster.

Ps who said anything about mm to mc. Go and talk about linn somewhere.
Let me say this in words you may understand. I'm trying to help you damnit!

Messing around with a phono stage such as this with no real knowledge WILL risk damage, especially if you can't solder well currently - The tracks are very fine as you no doubt have seen. The gain of both MM and MC settings as supplied is usually optimum for almost all cartridges, even SPU's in MC setting and the output level is optimised to be well over many other phono stages I believe and here in NVA's case, pretty well up to a CD player (I've made a good few set to MM and MC and listened to every one). Messing with the gain resistors to increase output, which is what you've suggested, may well mess with the overload margins of the input (which aren't that huge in the Phono 1 judging by past reviews), hence my advice of caution. Since lower output MM's can be used with a Phono 1 with no issue, I assumed you're using an MC or something into it, as one of the infamous bake-offs did (an MM Phono 1 will 'work' with an MC as noise levels are low, but there won't be enough gain), hence my comments about changing the sensitivity and loading from one to the other. Normally there's be absolutely NO need to bodge otherwise. One important if secondary reason why these things are glued together rather than screwed!

Hopefully others may find this useful if they are ever tempted to delve inside.

I talk about NVA because I'm bloody close to the stuff and have been for five years and know it's foibles as well as good parts. The same with *old* Linn (you'll note I don't discuss current Linn electronics and speakers because I don't know it as well).

So just get off my fucking back once again thank you and try to learn something from someone who's been around the HiFi block a good few decades now and picked up a fair bit of 'stuff' while doing it.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

You are a tit..

And you know fuck all. Until 2014 you worshipped at the alter of linn and an never heard about nva.

You then did a few botched jobs only to be replaced...

Drop dead

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

:lol:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

At last an absence of verbosity

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:32 pm You are a tit..

And you know fuck all. Until 2014 you worshipped at the alter of linn and an never heard about nva.

You then did a few botched jobs only to be replaced...

Drop dead
No need for this at all. From my perspective Dave is trying to help. I had a little advice from him when i put my amps together with NVA boards and was very grateful.

As far as turning a phono 1 in to a 2 then you should retain the original transformer, rectifier, smoothing caps and regulator board. Add another power supply exactly the same. You need to decide if you are going to use one supply for left channel and the other for right OR one supply for the front ends and the second for the back ends.

Or go the whole hog and add another three power supplies to the original one and power each section separately. (phono 3 ?)
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

If I need help from anyone on the forum I am quite capable of asking, that's usually the way it's done.
. I can't envisage a scenario we're I would need dsjr misquided assistance.
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

ADMIN

DSJR - members are not obliged to take your advice, regardless of your intent or experience. Members may disagree with or reject your advice. That another member chooses to reject your advice does not constitute ad hom, neither does it make them a troll. DQ is the OP and this thread is, effectively, DQ's system blog - I don't think he can be a troll on his own blog. If he doesn't want your advice on his thread, and he seems to have made that clear, then leave him be; the world will not stop turning, as a result. Concentrate on those who do welcome and seek your input.

DQ - you have made your point, now. Please leave it there.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/