My latest obsession

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: My latest obsession

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 am The *two* biggest musical tests for a sound system, be it PA or home hi-fi is drums and real piano, get them right and with the bass as part of the rhythm section the drums just drive the music.
Since we don't have a "Like" button I'll just have to agree

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:52 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 am The *two* biggest musical tests for a sound system, be it PA or home hi-fi is drums and real piano, get them right and with the bass as part of the rhythm section the drums just drive the music.
[url][/url]
Since we don't have a "Like" button I'll just have to agree
Oh yeah, the drums are the most important instrument on any track dont ya know. I have a mate (also a drum teacher) who plays in a leading Beatles tribute band. He has mapped various Beatles tracks and the tempo is all over the place. But the feeling is there and it feels good. Same with lots of drummers. John Bonham is well known to have snaked in and out of time yet he is one of the most popular drummers ever. Lots of people praise his efforts (especially other drummers) and if you are sad enough to put a metronome to one of Zeppelin's tunes then you truly are too far up your own arse (hello arsehats where are you ? :grin:

Some guy who is very popular on youtube (Rick Beato) has quantized some of John Bonham's playing. Now hands up who has no idea what quantasizing means . Yeah i mean you there.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Click tracks and quantizing have killed modern mainstream music IMO and many others have similar opinions. But then the average person on the street does not have a clue. As long as the music they listen to is seen as cool and heightens their image then job done. Thankfully some of us do not give the smallest of shits what other people think of our musical taste (please tell me i am not alone).

Gone are the days of Aretha Franklin style takes where a whole day is all it takes to cut an album. None of that excuse me that snare beat was slightly out of time. Who gives a shit as long as the music is good and moves you.
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:58 am Click tracks and quantizing have killed modern mainstream music IMO and many others have similar opinions. But then the average person on the street does not have a clue. As long as the music they listen to is seen as cool and heightens their image then job done. Thankfully some of us do not give the smallest of shits what other people think of our musical taste (please tell me i am not alone).

Gone are the days of Aretha Franklin style takes where a whole day is all it takes to cut an album. None of that excuse me that snare beat was slightly out of time. Who gives a shit as long as the music is good and moves you.
In decades gone by it was also a case of looking cool and heightening image. I plead guilty :lol: The difference was the music was good. To me this sampling :Bllocks: is not music. Music is musicians playing instruments.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

John Bonham is well known to have snaked in and out of time
Well, AFAIK there is no reason why the tempo of music has to stick to a rigid time, and dragging and pulling (not that that involves different tempo) is just as important as a blues guitarist learning to play certain notes sharp or flat.

After all why would a orchestra need a conductor, just give them earpieces with a click track :-)

karatestu
Great Britain

Lurcher300b wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:52 am
John Bonham is well known to have snaked in and out of time
Well, AFAIK there is no reason why the tempo of music has to stick to a rigid time, and dragging and pulling (not that that involves different tempo) is just as important as a blues guitarist learning to play certain notes sharp or flat.

After all why would a orchestra need a conductor, just give them earpieces with a click track :-)
Yes i agree 100% I just get annoyed when musicians get criticised for speeding up or slowing down. It may be intentional or the music sounds better that way. Really bad musicians however speed up and slow down when they should not be. I am pretty certain my playing is not to the time keeping standards of Steve Gadd but then we cant all be that good.

I made an album once in a studio opposite Yorkshire TV in Leeds. We were given a record deal at the time and it certainly was an eye opener. Originally we had gone in to record a live demo with it all done in one take and no over dubs. It turned out really good and all of the band loved it.The owners of the studio loved it too. Record deal followed that and we went in to the studio full time over a period of months apart from a short spell when we got kicked out when Embrace (shit Yorkshire band from the 90's) recorded one of their albums there. The studio had smurf posters on the wall because that is where the smurf's music was recorded :roll:

Anyway, the producer insisted on using a click track for everything. I remember it being a very loud cow bell noise in my headphones. It kept us in time but was very off putting and ruined the feel of the songs. When you get used to playing to a click you dont really hear it but that takes practice. Snaking around the beat is what gives music emotion a lot of the time.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

That producer sounds like a complete cock!

But then they all seem to be clowns, Loudness Wars and all that...

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I fancy this set, Stu. :lol:

Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

wiicrackpot