EWA M50

All general audio posts go here.
jimbob
Great Britain

EWA M50

Unread post by jimbob »

I feel I’ve had this amp long enough to do a short review. First of all I have to to give a huge thank you to Colin for being patient with my numerous emails and for being an absolute gent.

Colin kept me up to date with the progress of the build and the amp was packaged very well indeed.

The amp is impeccably finished and looks very nice. Nothing fancy, nothing bling, just a plain black case with the EWA logo, amp model and a power button on the front. All the connections on the rear look to be of very good quality.

I first had the M50 running through the P90sa with SSC straight from the back of th tv. Music was played from the Spotify app on the PS4. Straight away I knew this amp was special, it sounded stunning. All I wanted to do was listen to music, feet tapping and singing along. Brilliant.

I’ve always suffered with not getting huge volume from my NVA systems in the past but it was more apparent with the M50. Even with the P90 at full volume I wasn’t getting anywhere near the kind of volume that I should have been. A quick email to Colin and it was suggested that the output voltage of my tv was too low to allow me to get full power from the M50. Colin could have just suggested that I buy one of his preamps but instead he very kindly offered to build me a mini preamp. I can’t thank Colin enough for his generosity.

The mini pre arrived and is visually very much like the NVA P20. Music on... okay now this is what the M50 is all about... wow! Now this is loud, the kind of loud that has the sofa rumbling on deep bass notes. There isn’t even the slightest hint of the amp being stressed, it’s an absolute beast. Soundstage is huge in every way, vocals are unnervingly real and bass is just something else. It’s a very visceral experience but this amp also does emotion and presents music in a way that is captivating and touching. I love it. I won’t go into describing how sparkly the highs are or how lucid the midrange is because I don’t need to. I will just say that this amp is a music maker. Simple as that.

This amp is very special indeed and I feel very fortunate to own it. Colin is an absolute gentleman and I can’t thank him enough for his kindness and patience.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

BillyBones
Great Britain

Re: EWA M50

Unread post by BillyBones »

Blimey Jim, how loud do you have it? :grin:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

To be honest I don’t often play it loud, usually the rest of the family are at home so I don’t get many opportunities to crank it up. But it would be rude not to with a new amp... :grin:
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Twistedheat02

Unread post by Twistedheat02 »

Ive never heard of ewa before this thread. Ive done some research and the m50 sounds like an amazing amp.

Anyone have one in the south London region for a listen? :0
Amps: Nva p50 pre, 2 x marantz sm17 power Amps

Digital: Chord hugo

Analogue: Rega P3, Graham slee era v gold

Speakers :Pmc 21,

Cables: speaker, NVA LS6, interconnect, ssp mk2

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Aye it’s a lovely amp for sure. I hope you do get a chance to have a listen to one. If you’re ever up near Manchester then you’re welcome to listen to mine.

Twistedheat02

Unread post by Twistedheat02 »

Cheers buddy! Much appreciated!
Amps: Nva p50 pre, 2 x marantz sm17 power Amps

Digital: Chord hugo

Analogue: Rega P3, Graham slee era v gold

Speakers :Pmc 21,

Cables: speaker, NVA LS6, interconnect, ssp mk2

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

I am glad you like it but you should use a M100 Pro to shake the sofa the dust falls out quicker and the floor moves.
It can be done so imagine it.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Colin I can’t begin to imagine how good the M100 must be...