Hi-Fi Honesty

All general audio posts go here.
Copperblue

Re: Hi-Fi Honesty

Unread post by Copperblue »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:41 am I think Linn were very concerned about the superiority of the Pink Triangle in particular. I have read reports of Ivor's storm troopers sabotaging the PT in dealers show rooms and saying purchasers were at risk of catching Aids.
Unfortunately a lot of that went on, aided and abetted by a number of Linn dealers.

You could count on the fingers of one hand the number of dealers that would be able to demo a Pink vs a Linn vs Rock etc. Doug Brady was one of them
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is sad that a whole generation of Hi-Fi enthusiast were polluted by the bullshit and brainwash of the flat earth. But we only have the now, lets make sure no one can do this to us again.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

NVA was always an approved flat earth brand.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Who told you that, nva was blocked out of the UK market by the dealers as they HAD to sell other products as they were illegally contracted to do it. We survived on export. I was never flat earth and never wanted to be. At the most we only had two active UK dealers, and a couple who pretended. AND one of them Signals soon got dragged down the corrupt path.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Just going on the reviews of the time. I have a lot of old Hi-fi Review mags, flat earth magazine and the equipment always generated positive reviews. Amps in their recommended products. Obviously, I can't comment on dealers etc. I have no experience. I believe you though.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:30 am Who told you that, nva was blocked out of the UK market by the dealers as they HAD to sell other products as they were illegally contracted to do it. We survived on export. I was never flat earth and never wanted to be. At the most we only had two active UK dealers, and a couple who pretended. AND one of them Signals soon got dragged down the corrupt path.
Since you mention them by name... I don't believe they wanted to stop trading with you, but you closed down all the dealer accounts and ceased trading for a few years until the current online business model came along some years back. It was all documented on PFM going back some years.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He said he would never become flat earth or have Linn and Naim agencies as he saw them as crooks and bad and unmusical product the same as me, he changed his mind by being talked into it, all about slurp so he joined the slurpers and ditched the small companies he was supporting. So basically he sold out - so if he now sings the praises of Linn and Naim, it is ALL BULLSHIT, he had a temp increase in his slurp from them but he will go bust like all the other slurpers, their time has passed.

He was one of the very few honest ones but he sold out.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

A Hi-Fi dealership is a business and, if it is big enough to have them, shareholders expect a profit. It is therefore very possible that in some cases shareholders applied pressure for dealerships to sell high margin items so that they could reap the rewards. Difficult to resist if your job is at risk if you don't make enough profit.

Obviously smaller dealers won't necessarily have been in that position.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The larger dealer are strung up with illegal agency contracts - they HAVE to sell those products in quantity as contracted to obtain discounts or even retain the agency, so the likes of Linn and Naim have them over a barrel, they dare not promote other product. I keep telling you the whole industry is bent.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I got the impresion that dealers were under pressure when I had the demo of the LP12. When I said I was less than impressed the salesman put it down to my choice of music. :angry-screaming: This was like a red rag to a bull. :angry-fire:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc