Plastic

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Plastic

Unread post by zebbo »

Fretless wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 am .... or shiny brushed-metal casings.
Yes, it does make me laugh when reviewers start wetting their pants over the fact that some extortionately priced bit of kit is milled from a solid billet of aluminium!!! So fu**ing what?! Does it make it sound any better? :lol: :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

maxwell65 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm The NVA casings look sleek and timeless and they wear very well (with minimal application of Windolene!).
As the Doc says, they are there for sonic reasons.
The only negative I can think of (having lived with NVA for 30+ years) is they do attract dust.
Naim are using acrylic these days.
I agree. It was the look of the old AP80 that caught my attention many moons ago and prompted me to delve further into the NVA ethos which turned out to very much match my own thoughts, (not that I have any technical knowledge at all). The only bit I'm not keen on are the "off the shelf" knobs on the P90sa I had before but my TCS has nice big shiny PLASTIC ones! :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

maxwell65
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by maxwell65 »

Ah yes, the NVA ethos...
https://www.nvahifi.co.uk/nva-design
https://www.nvahifi.co.uk/archive

Reading the Doc's thoughts years ago convinced me about the rightness of his approach and the results speak for themselves.
P90sa/A100s/SSP
BBCubes/TSCS

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

slinger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm Metal = Heavy = Good
Plastic = Light - Bad

That is, of course, a complete load of bollox, but I'm sure it's sometimes how people without any requisite knowledge (are taught to) think. Put a tatty little circuit inside a block of milled unobtanium alloy and it *must* be a good amp. :roll:
Light = Bad, rather depends on what you intend to do with it. If you want a Pigeon to carry it (or any other form of aviation) I would say Light = Good, Heavy = Bad but what do I know.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 pm
Plastic = Light - Bad

That is, of course, a complete load of bollox, but I'm sure it's sometimes how people without any requisite knowledge (are taught to) think. Put a tatty little circuit inside a block of milled unobtanium alloy and it *must* be a good amp. :roll:
Light = Bad, rather depends on what you intend to do with it. If you want a Pigeon to carry it (or any other form of aviation) I would say Light = Good, Heavy = Bad but what do I know.
And were this a forum about pigeons and/or aviation, and was this thread not generally discussing the use of plastic in hi-fi builds, I would applaud your point. :mrgreen:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:38 pm
Plastic = Light - Bad

And were this a forum about pigeons and/or aviation, and was this thread not generally discussing the use of plastic in hi-fi builds, I would applaud your point. :mrgreen:
Why, pray, should Hi-Fi be heavy? OK so my tape deck weighs in at 25Kg, and that has a plastic case but with a 1/4" thick aluminium front panel and three large motors. As far as I am concerned Light = Good in most applications, transformers add enough weight in most cases.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Much that I hate to promote anything from that slurping sod Torlyte is a brill material for a lot of jobs and you can't get much lighter than that

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Why, pray, should Hi-Fi be heavy? OK so my tape deck weighs in at 25Kg, and that has a plastic case but with a 1/4" thick aluminium front panel and three large motors. As far as I am concerned Light = Good in most applications, transformers add enough weight in most cases.
George, you're missing Slinger's point, I think, which is that many people's perception of quality is if it's heavy it must be good.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

zebbo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 pm

George, you're missing Slinger's point, I think, which is that many people's perception of quality is if it's heavy it must be good.
Who's George? Yes of course there are people who equate weight with quality and in some cases they are right. A flywheel that isn't heavy enough won't do its job properly. However when electronics get heavy it is usually because someone has piled in too many components and used a case that would look good on a crash protected recorder but has no place anywhere else.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Geoff.R.G - The important part of my "heavy=good" post is the line - That is, of course, a complete load of bollox, but I'm sure it's sometimes how people without any requisite knowledge (are taught to) think.

Zebbo got it. I was taking the piss out of people who believed in the heavy=good idea. Obviously, that wasn't as obvious as I thought. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X