Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Engypoos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Unread post by Engypoos »

I'm trying I'm trying !
I know it aint snakeoil. That's why I'm here.
Not easy after being subjected to bullying and derision at Firkham Hall for years y'know.
Like I said....... chill and see eh ? Everybody is allowed their sense of humour. Mine's just a bit Yorkshire .
And when ir comes to knowledge I might teach you something yet matey !
What do you want to know about Bob Marley ?
I'm your man. :geek:

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Wot kinda curry, Ivor.

Engypoos

Indian. Moghuls , North St , Keighley.
He had a korma. Not very Vicious...... in fact more Sid 'unmanly ' in the curry stakes !

Canada

SOUNDS LIKE (2007,US)

Anyone remember Roger Corman's excellent movie, The Man With The X-ray Eyes?
Well this is the aural equivalent.
Directed by same bloke wot did Session 9, you can expect this to be well done.

Larry works for a big software company as overseer (over-listener) on phone techs solving customer's link-up, etc. problems.
His son's death consumes him, drives him over the edge. melancholy becomes madness. He begins to experience extraordinary acuteness of hearing which is aggravated by anxiety, anger. As sound grows in intensity so does his madness. Even the sanctuary of Library becomes unbearable . Someone biting into a stalk of celery, sucking on the rubber on the end of a pencil, a fly on the wall....

"They think the more noise they make, the more alive they are."

Fall Of the House Of Usher, loikes.

Canada

LES EMOTIFS ANONYMES (France, 2010)

Touching romance about the manager of a small chocolate factory and a chocolatier.
Both are emotionally-challanged, very shy. They love each other but are afraid in the way of anxiety-prone persons are - to commit, fearing they will pull each other down with their relentless, impossible to break neurosis.

Sad but in a light, comedic way. The kind of movie the French are good at.

Engypoos

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
Six unconnected short stories of the wild west.
Stats of great. Storie 3 of the inadequately limb equipped side show raconteur will have you weeping if you're weepy type.
Then it's all downhill from there.
I'm not a fan of the Cohen's to be honest and this is another of the bruvvers also rans quickly losing its charm until you can't wait for it to be over.

Canada

THE TALL MAN (2010, Canada/France)

This co-production is worth seeing.

Over the decade some 30 children vanish without trace from some former mining town now on serious economic decline. The two town nurses seem doubtful about the local legend of a mysterious long-coated and hooded "tall man" being the abductor. Until a nurses' child is taken.

I refrain from letting this story out of the bag cos that will ruin all for you cocksuckers. Just, however, to say that it appears to be a statement on society. Extreme statement , as was the very disturbing film , "Martyrs" , made by the same director. Let us say, the plot takes the viewer for a loop and leave it at that.

(Much is filmed at night in the northern (Canada?) woods.)

Like "Martyrs" this is not a supernatural-monster story. The "monster" is very much part of society.
The question brought forth with this movie is: is this a moral monster?

Say no more.

Canada

INLAND EMPIRE (us, 2007)

David Lynch ,wot happened to you?

Ha ha! Fuck,

UN-WATCHABLE.

just so.

Haha! (Loser)

Jeremy Irons: why you take roles in all these absolute SHIT movies?

Ehh?

Why?

Canada

FORCE MAJEURE (2014, Sweden)

A very, very slow film but one with a rather unique (to film, that is) theme.

The backnotes on the dvd call this "wickedly funny". Blind Child saw no humour in this at all - if so, then the Swedes have a very strange sense of humour.

A Swede family is on 5 day sking vacation in the French Alps. They are sitting outside on the alpine restauraunt upper deck when on the ski runs the explosions go off to stimulate an avalanche. A controlled avalanche. The resultant avalanche seems to be headed straight for the restauraunt and the vacationers eating outside start to panic as the atmosphere is getting all white and foggy.
But this movie is NOT about the "force majeure " of nature - it proves to be a false alarm - looking much worse than it really was. It was just the far front fluffy end of the avalanche that made it to the atmosphere alone about the restaurant.

The force majeure here is that of the human mind - how we are all prone to let usually trifling things get the better of us; how the human mind allows certain niggling thoughts to completely worry and eat us up (with resultant ulcers). We allow ourselves to get stuck in some insane rut-mode of thought. And how it is hard to put out of mind - always nagging in the background, if not the front.

So what has this to do with the film, you ask.
Well, during this "avalanche" the father turns and runs to the doors, completely disregarding his wife and kids.

This later begins to prey on the wife, Ebba's, mind.
She brings it up to the husband, first privately then in front of theior friends - shaming him. He holds on to his pride and maintains she blew the situation all out of proportion / that he knew right then that it was not a life-threatening situation.
Ebba says its all caught on cell phone and plays the viddy back to the friends. Its clear the hubby was running away.
The hubby's friend - a psychiatrist - trys to tone it down, saying it all happened in a second and how would anyone react? That basic survival mode always sets in . This is normal. He sites a recent Estonian boat tradgedy where the boat was sinking and only 125 out of 350 survived during the resultant stampede - over the bodies of the aged and children - to safety.

The wife accepts this self- survival animal instinct theory, saying all the same that she would under no circumstances abandon her young children. She states her problem is not the cowardice so much as the hubby making slight of it all.

Next day the husband and wife go on separate ski-ings.

But this is eating away at the husband inside,
The psychiatrist and girlfriend take these disturbing thoughts on their shoulders then - to the point that they cannot have sex that night and the girlfriend is at him as to how he could have stood up for the friend like that and not taken Ebba's side.

Finally the husband breaks down in a very moving scene beefwhore his children, sobbing to the wife that "you're not the only victim here. I am victim to my instincts."

4th day of vacation the whole family goes out to ski but it gets very foggy, bright whiteout conditions. The wife manages to separate herself from family and is heard to cry out for help. The husband goes to find her in the white mirk and bring her back to safety and the children. Everyone including the children know the wife faked it all, BUT ITS ENOUGH TO SET THINGS BACK AS THEY WERE and return the father to role of family patriarch.

On the 5th and last day they are on a tourbus on the scary mountain road . The bus is full of tourists. The driver seems to be having a tough time of negociating the curves -or he is drunk ,its not made clear. Ebba demands they all be let out of the bus. It stops precariously close to the edge. People start panicking as they had on the restaurant terrace but the psychiatrist by sheer force of command orders them to leave the bus as civilized persons, women & children first.

I found the simple, unspoken ending to the movie to be very moving. I wont tell you it or attempt my idea of the meaning (since Ive already given all the film away.)

This film reminds me of that other great shaming scene in cinema :the movie "Lord Jim" where Peter O'toole gets his first command of a boat - an old beater on its last legs carrying a load of a hundred muslims to Mecca. It appears the boat is going to sink in a severe storm and newly-made captain Jim abandons it . When he makes it to the next port the boat is there - brought to safe harbor by the muslims.
Imagine the shame.

Canada

AMERICAN HORROR STORY V: HOTEL

made by kids for kids

(Full marks though for the Art Deco sets.)