Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Mr Quackers
Has thanked: 0

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Mr Quackers »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:01 pm So you are stuck up a cul-de-sac with no where to go because your mind is blocked - how do you know you can't get better if you don't try.
It's been a long and tortuous journey starting in 1977! I simply luxuriate in the rich, velvety sound I've achieved. My only regret is that it's taken me 40 years of box swapping to get there.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You see you have "got there" = mind blocked. Where is that the end of the line, the best possible, so why bother with forums or even reading about it. NO member here should have that attitude. If you want to stop the journey fair enough but don't tell us you have reached the ultimate because you haven't

charlieboy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by charlieboy »

I find speakers to be such a personal choice, I don't find absolutes to be plausible given the number of variables. I do tend to like very efficient speakers, and am partial to horn speakers, but the main factor imho is room integration which can make or break any speaker.

Mr Quackers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 am You see you have "got there" = mind blocked. Where is that the end of the line, the best possible, so why bother with forums or even reading about it. NO member here should have that attitude. If you want to stop the journey fair enough but don't tell us you have reached the ultimate because you haven't
Not a cul-de-sac, "there" being more like a lay-by. I'm "there" with the budget I have. If my budget suddenly increased, I'd look to audition larger speakers from the likes of Spendor, Harbeth, Stirling Broadcast and Graham Audio. If I liked what I heard, then maybe I'd move out of the lay-by again.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Mr Quackers wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 am You see you have "got there" = mind blocked. Where is that the end of the line, the best possible, so why bother with forums or even reading about it. NO member here should have that attitude. If you want to stop the journey fair enough but don't tell us you have reached the ultimate because you haven't
Not a cul-de-sac, "there" being more like a lay-by. I'm "there" with the budget I have. If my budget suddenly increased, I'd look to audition larger speakers from the likes of Spendor, Harbeth, Stirling Broadcast and Graham Audio. If I liked what I heard, then maybe I'd move out of the lay-by again.
Heard any Klipsch or NVA?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Exactly, his post reeked of brain blocked self satisfaction.

Now if it has said I love my system love my music, can't at the moment see where to progress it but always have an open mind, then you would have no comment from me. Also the presumption it will take more money to get better as in the back off post. You may well find you can do it and make a profit on selling existing gear. Price in this rip-off industry is not the arbiter of good music.

Mr Quackers

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm
Heard any Klipsch or NVA?
I've heard a pair of Klipsch in the Magnolia section at Best Buy but sadly I haven't had the opportunity to hear any NVA here in the USA.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ah, I looked at your flag and thought you were in the UK..

...could have popped along to a bake-off.
I am in the hi-fi trade

charlieboy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by charlieboy »

Sounds to me like you're content more than anything else. I get completely get this. I've got a pair of speakers I'm totally comfortable with. I know full well I could get speakers that sound different, and some that might sound better, or a mixture of the both. Thing is I like them (having tried many many others over the years).

I think the only way I'd currently consider changing them is if I moved house and that meant that other choices became possible in a different room. Otherwise I'm just having fun buying records and enjoying the system as it is.

savvypaul
Great Britain

charlieboy wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm
Sounds to me like you're content more than anything else. I get completely get this. I've got a pair of speakers I'm totally comfortable with. I know full well I could get speakers that sound different, and some that might sound better, or a mixture of the both. Thing is I like them (having tried many many others over the years).

I think the only way I'd currently consider changing them is if I moved house and that meant that other choices became possible in a different room. Otherwise I'm just having fun buying records and enjoying the system as it is.
So, what would you like to learn from a thread such as this?
I am in the hi-fi trade