10 Best Dylan songs, Jimmehs

All music posts here please.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: 10 Best Dylan songs, Jimmehs

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:58 pm Ballad of a Thin Man

When the Ship Comes In (could be my top fav. Very rousing song and optimistic - unlike Dylan)

Visions of Johanna (haunting song - are Louise/Johanna ghosts? " the ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face." ”Blonde On Blonde surprized me on first listen. It was a distinct change in direction. No more protest. With the exception of Johanna - with its brilliant visual imagery - the lyrics are simple. I did not like this 2lp set that much. Only later realized the strength of the melodies. "Visions" seems to me like it doesnt belong on this lp - its finer.)

All Along the Watchtower remarkable song

A Hard Rains a-gonna Fall

North Country Blues (as in "House of Rising Sun" its a woman narrating. You can cut the dejection with a knife. Absolutely love this song. Sounds to me like he lifted the tune from English folksong - he did so on others:in 1962 he witnessed a performance in London by Martin Carthy and took the tune of Scarborogh Fair and Lord Franklin for Boots of Spanishj Leather and Girl from North Country)

Chimes of Freedom

Its all right,ma (Dylan calls out greed, consumerism...a fucked-up world)

Desolation Row (almost psychedelic carnival procession of nightmare characters)

One Too Many Mornings gentle and full of remorse
These are all correct answers. I would add 'I'll Keep It With Mine' and 'Lay Down Your Weary Tune'.

alfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alfer »

Add Love Minus Zero
AtoZ

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

One too many mornings - beautiful. Makes me hairs stand up.
DIY FREE ZONE