What does hi-fi mean

All general audio posts go here.
Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What does hi-fi mean

Unread post by Welder »

I've mentioned this before. I really wanted a Benchmark Dac. I wasn't entirely sure why. I had listened to a few at various points and in general liked what I heard.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good Dac, but far more bits to fiddle with than I need these days.
I keep thinking about selling it and going back to something like the HRT Pro which just seemed to be easier to listen to once I had split off the power rail and fed it from its own power supply.
That's often the problem when one gets the 'I wants'.
I adore my speakers because I built them and I've had them so long now I'm used to the sound they make. I've tried various amps as well and I keep going back to the old Exposures, they just have the ability to get my feet tapping where other amps seem to miss this.
I hope you can sort the bloom out. Things like that can be very irritating.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

And so the slurping rip-off bullshitting continues. Those that have bought a Chord thingy, well good luck to you, see what it is worth in a couple of years. BUT anyone now who wastes their money on it is nuts, when you can get something now for about £100 that at the very least will seriously compete with it, or may even be better as I haven't heard the Chord, in principle I wouldn't waste my money.

If I wanted I am sure I could improve the £5 DAC just with a big power supply, maybe a BBPSU :lol: . But then it would £5 for DAC and £1000 for power supply = daft.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I am not experiencing any bloom with the green (neutral) filter setting and the speakers are in the same position as the Cube 3s were, close to the wall.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

CN it was just an excuse to dig at the speakers that he has never heard. I dig at the Chord (all Chord) product because of rip off pricing, it could be brilliant sounding. That (rip off pricing) can NEVER be said about NVA especially speakers

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm If I wanted I am sure I could improve the £5 DAC just with a big power supply, maybe a BBPSU :lol: . But then it would £5 for DAC and £1000 for power supply = daft.
Be worth it if it made the music sound better though eh?
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is common sense and there is the lack of it.

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm CN it was just an excuse to dig at the speakers that he has never heard.
Don't be ridiculous. Why on earth would I want to do that?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Per usual I am reacting to a reality, as that is what I read. It looked to me there were two choices in the comments. You hadn't read CNs post properly - which you denied when I commented on it. So the only alternative explanation, which is what you did, was blame the speaker. If you show me an alternative reason I will be happy to read it.

You should look at the history of this as this is not the first comment on it, read his review on the change up to bigger Cubes each time. Read his other thread comments on the Chord DAC, it is all explained and would have avoided this.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm CN it was just an excuse to dig at the speakers that he has never heard. I dig at the Chord (all Chord) product because of rip off pricing, it could be brilliant sounding. That (rip off pricing) can NEVER be said about NVA especially speakers
I agree that Chord products are over priced, but everything is relative. Their DACs are good value compared to the competition, even direct sales, and are bargains compared to what the Glasgow mafia and Salisbury stooges charge.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Have you tried the £5 with a decent linear power supply. I for one would be interested in the results.