How much !

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Latteman
Great Britain

How much !

Unread post by Latteman »

Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How much !

Unread post by Welder »

Is that a lot these days?
I'm so far out of touch with what the 'vintage' gear sells for.
I must admit I wouldn't pay that much.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its an odd one as Richard Allen and Sugden were close to each other in Yorkshire and had friendship and a working relationship in those days. Worth that amount of money. Not my cup tea musically but a lot better than most in those day. It is this Class A business again, it it really Class A, no more so IMO than the highly biased ABs pretending to be A. Though I think Sugden had more justification in using it than most

True Class A is single ended, and that is far easier to do with valves than transistors, though there have been transistor ones. The thing they all have in common is if they claim over 15w per ch (and even that is approaching impossible) they are either lying, bending the figures, or it is not Class A

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Fifteen years or so ago, I bought an A21 for £25 that we'd been using as a loan amp when warranty repairs came in (DIN sockets and 4mm speaker terminals so sort-of compatible with Naim). It sounded shite really, all thin toned on both channels and little bass and this by Nait 3 standards! Nothing looked obviously wrong, but way outclassed today I reckon! To me, no way is it worth much, even with a non-standard front panel! When we took Sugden on at KJ in the late 70's, we had the last of this amp and it was alright but not really anything special even then, but what we were really waiting for was the A48 (all brown and orange nextel paint ;))
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

It's got the magic number A21! It's about a third you pay for a new A21 these days which I'm sure sounds better.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 pm
True Class A is single ended, and that is far easier to do with valves than transistors, though there have been transistor ones. The thing they all have in common is if they claim over 15w per ch (and even that is approaching impossible) they are either lying, bending the figures, or it is not Class A
I built a 50W single ended Mosfet amp from a Nelson Pass design. That must be class A. :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It looks to me like a variation on quasi complimentary with some Quad current dumping. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, always open to learn.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 pm It looks to me like a variation on quasi complimentary with some Quad current dumping. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, always open to learn.
It uses two of the same Mosfet, the top one is for constant current.(so Nick told me)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Two devices is either complementary or quasi complimentary. The second one looks like the current dump.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 pm Two devices is either complementary or quasi complimentary. The second one looks like the current dump.
Nelson Pass says it's single ended and I think he knows his stuff.