Skip finds

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Skip finds

Unread post by karatestu »

There is nowt better than rummaging through a skip and finding treasure. What a wonderful feeling when something useful turns up.

I have taken bits of metal (no i am not of the travelling community), wood, children's toys, bikes. All sorts actually. Even the odd bit of hifi and dvd players, some working some not. Got a few transformers from broken kit.

What have you found ? :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Re: Skip finds

Unread post by Alfi »

SWFA unfortunately Stu, but then again I'm too shy to look :lol:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am SWFA unfortunately Stu, but then again I'm too shy to look :lol:

Alfi.
:grin:

Never get anywhere being shy innit. Family moved out of a rented property across the road from me. Huge skip outside. Got some decent sheets of plywood for speaker building and the like. Happy days :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I found a valve radio which my niece has as at the moment, I was able to pick up some distant stations on it but it still needs attention. She has never switched it on and only has it as an ornament really.

Also a Sony music centre years ago that I stripped the turntable out of and made a new plinth for.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What is the legality, who owns it.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Most probably the letter of thew law will state... The person removing discarded waste has no right to it unless they have the permission of those discarding it ?

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

If it appears obvious that the item(s) have genuinely been discarded then I doubt it would be considered theft.

The easy (and courteous way) to remove any doubt is to ask permission first.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

joe

Unread post by joe »

Never found anything in a skip. Left a knackered amp in a skip once, went round the corner to buy some milk, the amp had gone when I got back (ten minutes tops).

karatestu
Great Britain

joe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:38 pm Never found anything in a skip. Left a knackered amp in a skip once, went round the corner to buy some milk, the amp had gone when I got back (ten minutes tops).
Maybe it was me who re homed it :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Last week pulled 10 8X8 foam peices outta construction skip.
Need dems for inside garage ceiling. Extra light - easy to install.

Here is a great skip-records story:

On the award-winning Leutonian documentary, "Vinyl" a bloke has to move from his apt. to a smaller one with no room for his punk vinyl collection.
This is in the 90s when lps were considered dross and its no use trying to sell them off to stores. So he has to offload the lp collection FAST.
It breaks his heart that someone else will luck onto his discarded collection AND GET IT ALL AT ONCE - THAT WHICH TOOK HIM YEARS OF HARD GRAFT AND LOOKING TO ACCUMULATE. So he specifically looks for an out-of-the-way dumpster to dump his precious horde where no one will see it. he finds one in a nearby alley. The minute he has finished offloading and left the alley , the documentary hidden camera shows a person come outta the woodpile or summart. With a BROAD smile on his face, he vaults into the dumpster and proceeds to cop the entire collection.