Two cleaning solution questions, cocksuckers

All general audio posts go here.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Two cleaning solution questions, cocksuckers

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Blind Chile is poor and distilled water is expensive so for decades I bin using water from the dehumidifier for cleaning soln.

Is this okay, or are you appalled ?

Distilled water is where water is boiled then condensed (on hitting a cold surface) then collected.

In a lab the condensor is made of coils of glass (through which cold water runs) , so one would be led to believe there would be absolutely no impurities. I have no idea what commercial condensors are made of, but on a large scale Im thinking glass would be impractible.

Now isnt a dehumidifier just a copper tubing condensor - same deal.

Places like Vinyl Engine seem to be of unanimous opinion that dehumidifier water is okay to use for cleaning solutions. But then I go to one or two other places and the guys are shaking their heads in disbelief saying the whole purpose is to demineralize and with the humidifier Im getting copper fucking atoms in the water.

Question two: water mixed with the alcohol (& photoflow): if not used for extended periods, will your cleaning solution not go stagnant? If so then you would be introducing all sorts of microbioFUCKS to your vinyl.

So wot I do - cos sometimes my cleaning solution is not used for months on end - is I add a single drop of MERCURY to kill any fuckers that might form.
Mercury always stays on the bottom of your spray bottle (and it always forms just the single drop), so, as long as you are not pumping directly from the bottom, the mercury is no bother.

Mercury is toxic to many water-born bacteria/microorganisms - but not all.

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Two cleaning solution questions, cocksuckers

Unread post by Fretless »

A dehumidifier condenses water out of the surrounding air - and so will concentrate the quantities of any airborne bacteria or dirt in the water it collects. That water will be far from clean - tap water will be less 'dirty'.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Distilled water is said to be without imperiuties . These may effect your record machine ( deosnt effect my ultrasonic cleaner ) but it will not effect effect your records in a million years. Ok a thousand years.

Canada

Yes.

But wot of my second question concerning homemade cleaning solutions gone stagnant. In this case there would be fungal -wotever- microorganisms introduced to the record surface AND FROM THERE to the paper (assuming you have paper sleeves) where the nutrition is better.

Anyone ever experienced mold on vinyl?

Canada

If there is mold in the vaccuum tube or take-up tank of a machine, I dont think that would be of any concern since it is AFTER THE FACT. Assuming the cleaning solution is "fresh" ,the bacteria, etc are not introduced till AFTER the actual cleaning.
(But it would be a good idea to occasionally disinfect (maybe with peroxide?) the cloth ridges which make contact with the record surface.)

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

I wouldn't worry unnecessary.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Canada

Wot is unnecessary to worry abart?

1/ cleaning solutions going bad or
2/ whether or not you can use dehumidifier water

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Both. As Daniel Quinn more or less says, records will last a lot longer than any of us. Unless you treat them really badly. Why not buy de-ionised water from the supermarket. Pretty cheap and does the trick for me. Another tip for you, if you boil a large pan of tap water and leave it cool for a couple of hours, apparently, most of the impurities sink to the bottom of the pan, so just ladle out the top half and you're good to go.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Is the tap water in Canada full of Moose droppings and wouldn't they float?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Canada

Canada has the best water in the world, cocker.

But this is Leutonia. Here we flouridate but also spike the water with LSD-25. (Did you know LSD is incredibly concentrated? Takes a small amount to do a city's water treatment plant. This was likely one of the main reasons why in United Snakes the CIA came down so hard on LSD rights in the late 50s. They figured the Commies could dose the populace to compliance beefwhore initiating take over. Did you know that by the end of the Summer of Love in '67 and Flower Power in '68, LSD was pretty-well shut down? It was a combination of stiff fines and jail sentences and a campaign of mass-propaganda - LSD makes you want to commite suicide, LSD makes you shoot blanks,LSD affects the chromosomes and Thalidomide aint nuffink in comparison (when truth is that coffee effects your chromos more than LSD ever could), 6 acidheads went blind when they stared at the sun.....blah,blah.
Makes you think that if they could effectively put a nail in LSD's coffin, why can't they do the same with the current drug crisis?