Windsor HIFI Show

All general audio posts go here.
David Brook
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windsor HIFI Show

Unread post by David Brook »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am I will always get on my soapbox for as long as it is needed (IMO), and I have edited nothing, just replied.

That show has been used to try and con people as in the balanced v unbalanced comparison, they need to be exposed.
Its a high end hifi show dude, a day out and a bit of fun, but as usual you poo poo it.

I went for both days as a visitor and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

No point commenting on the room sounds as if it was 6 million quid or 600 quid you can't please everyone.

Having fun, enjoying oneself, some should try it, they may even like it. LOL
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: MCRU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You might also enjoy going and standing in a betting shop with all the machines and flashing lights and just give them your money £100 a go. This is just the same, money for nothing, if you get drawn in. Why yes of course real capitalism loves and eats this up, money for nothing and rip-off is the number one aim, less work, less investment, one con and brainwash does it all for you.

There needs to be a logical and sane voice in all this lunacy, of course go and see the bling and the flashing lights, but the same as in the betting shops some poor sods are falling for it. The sane voice will be here - especially about things like £140 mains plug fuses.

mikeyb48

Unread post by mikeyb48 »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:56 pm
On the subject of Class D, I believe the Glasgow mafia has embraced it which says it all for me.
I'm assuming you mean Class D amps?

I know Ali uses an OTL, I use an EL34 amp, Gaz uses 300b and there's also a TQ Claymore and Croft in there too.

I've tried Class D, didn't like it, too dry and harsh for me ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

CN refers to Linn as the Glasgow Mafia. Your little Scottish hi-fi Group as the Scottish Mafia was my little joke from years ago, it seems to have stuck - just a bit of fun.

I would say that the likely hood of any off you lot sticking with a class D after experience would be near zero.

mikeyb48

Unread post by mikeyb48 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:26 am CN refers to Linn as the Glasgow Mafia. Your little Scottish hi-fi Group as the Scottish Mafia was my little joke from years ago, it seems to have stuck - just a bit of fun.

I would say that the likely hood of any off you lot sticking with a class D after experience would be near zero.
Oops I'm a numpty lol

Scottish Mafia name is classic, love it.

Apologies to CN for trying to correct his post, I can see where he's coming from now.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

mikeyb48 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 am I've tried Class D, didn't like it, too dry and harsh for me ;)
Thought it was just me, preferred my MC2 audio MC750 Pro amp i was using at the time.

I think the ''Scottish Mafia'' moniker Doc gave the Scottish get together is tops too, i like it a lot. 8-)
Frank...made me do it.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

mikeyb48 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 am
CN211276 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:56 pm
On the subject of Class D, I believe the Glasgow mafia has embraced it which says it all for me.
I've tried Class D, didn't like it, too dry and harsh for me ;)

That's generally what I've come to expect of class D too and was fully expecting more of the same from the Kii 3s, but on this occasion I was wrong.
I had actually decided not to bother with that room, such was my preconception, but I'm very glad I didn't and it reaffirmed to me how important it is to remain open to ALL ways to skin the same cat!
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

OK lets skin the cat. There are inherent problems with ALL class D circuits, if you don't believe me then ask Nick (lurcher) he will tech explain it better than me The music is changed - corrupted, it is an inherent part of the way they work. That change can initially seem good and that is what draws people in, listen long term and if you are in this for the music and not the hi-fi you will reject - no matter who makes them, class D is classD - full stop.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The same as a PWM power supply is musically shite compared with a good linear one, everyone seems to accept that for hi-fi, so a PWM amplifier is musically shite compared with a linear amplifier, it cannot be any other way.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274757

And that has nothing to do with open minds, it is reality and my experience that says so. If you wish to learn the same lesson then please go ahead and find out for yourself. It is a good test as to who are hi-fi people and who are music people.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Low pass filter on the output - yuck.

Pwm = pulse wave modulation ? Some dac's output that kind of signal i believe ( dac in marantz cd63 does as i am currently reading a 2000+ page modding thread on diyaudio)
DIY FREE ZONE