Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Re: Movie/series wot Blind Chile just watched

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

THE DEATH CURE (2018)

Yep. Yet another run-rabbit-run teenager extravaganze.

Fuckoff and die America.

Canada

BROADCHURCH SERIES 3

Totally wearying. Slow as fuck. This should have been shit-canned after first season. Blind Child cannot understand why Broadchurch is valued.
VERA series is boring-ass time-wastage, but this even moreso. Point seems to be how fukkin' TEDIOUS small town detective work really is.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 am BROADCHURCH SERIES 3

Totally wearying. Slow as fuck. This should have been shit-canned after first season. Blind Child cannot understand why Broadchurch is valued.
VERA series is boring-ass time-wastage, but this even moreso. Point seems to be how fukkin' TEDIOUS small town detective work really is.
Definitely agree re Broadchurch. I've only seen Vera once, and was only half-watching (it was on at my sister's house and I couldn't see much of the screen) but that was enough for me. Feisty Northern female police detective shouts a lot. As the mighty HMHB put it:

''The maverick cops, with their average flasks
And boring unorthodox ways'

Canada

THE LORD PETER WIMSEY MYSTERIES (early 90's)

This series, with quite long episodes,moves slowly but retains the interest. Excellent acting.

Dorothy Sayers was the primo mystery writer after Christie and it shows.
Particularly good are "The Nine Taylors" and "The Five Herrings".

Canada

I said early 90's but I lied.
Is 1974. (Mebbe that is exactly why its done so well.)

Gonna be a total prick now and disrupt all your calm by uncloaking the mystery to the brilliant "Five Tailors". Here Dorothy Sayers did something rare in mystery writing: there is no actual murderer. Turns out the death was simply caused by SOUND.

The murder-less mystery is something I would like to see more of in BBC mysteries. Its precious rare , but there were a handful of detection/mystery series
which skirted the old murder bit . Im thinking of Lovejoy and The Last Detective.

Canada

WHEN ANIMALS DREAM (Denmark, 2014)

Nothing film as stark as the Danish countryside.

Young chit of a girl works at a fish-gutting factory. Finds herself getting hairy. Her mother is paralized and the village folk fear her. It becomes clear the girl inherited the disease that the mother got. (From fucking Russian sailors - at least this seems to be the inference.)
She is becoming animal-like. Kills the Russians and sails off with her lover in the Russian fish trawler.
That is about it.

"I'm transforming to a monster and I really need to get laid before."

Yeah, well....

Canada

LIFE 2017
" 'Alien' for low attention spans."

Space station circling Mars gets soil sample and life (as a paramecium) is coaxed out of hibernation. This quickly proves to be very intelligent and HOSTILE as it does a speed-evolution and grows till it can escape the hermetically-sealed lab and phage on the (ignorant) humans on board.

Nothing we haven't seen a 100 times beefwhore. Only good thing I can say is the silken camerawork as the crew float within the zero-gravity station.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 pm I said early 90's but I lied.
Is 1974. (Mebbe that is exactly why its done so well.)

Gonna be a total prick now and disrupt all your calm by uncloaking the mystery to the brilliant "Five Tailors". Here Dorothy Sayers did something rare in mystery writing: there is no actual murderer. Turns out the death was simply caused by SOUND.
How many of these wretched tailors are there?

I can't remember the 1970s adaptation. Maybe we didn't have a TV then. The late 80s versions, with Edward Petherbridge and Harriet Walter were excellent.

Canada

Aye the Petherbridge Wimsey is perfick as well.

Petherbridge has the exact face to play a Sir Toffee-Nosed Git role.

Lots of English character actors/actresses get roles specific to their facial features - that woman in Larks Rise To Candleford whose face looks like she is about to break into tears any minute, the stern-faced Vera on the mystery show, the lord-wotsit on Heartbeat,Penelope Keith always getting snooty roles and...could you imagine any other face besides Ian McKellen * playing Gandalf the Wizard?

*by the way ,McKellen and Petherbridge share the same acting pedigree.
Last edited by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canada

THE EDITOR (Canada, 2017???)

The Editor is an excellent, nigh comical, pastiche of the movie genre known as giallo , where lurid , gore & eroticity are the words.

The notes on the dvd case reference the '70s slasher films of Bavaand Argento , but I'm seeing a pure Dario Argento send-up.

All the Argento trademarks are here: the lurid exaggerated colours (especially red & blue), the medodramatic female screaming,the old-fashioned razor, the bad-acting, the absurd plot where preposterous over-complication piles up on over-complication.

Its done so well you would indeed think this an undiscovered Argento "jewel".

And the wonderful pulsing disco-prog soundtracks that Argento used: Goblin (credited as "The Goblin" on one of the best soundtracks ever - Suspiria. ).
Claudio Simonetti , the leader of Goblin , does the soundtrack on The Editor.

The story is about the world's best film-splicer/editor who has come upon bad times after losing 4 fingers on the right hand to a paper-cutter. Now he works for a skinflint making $75 a week cutting crap pulp films (with lotta beautiful nude women). Lead actors in these films are piling-up, slashed to death and the editor comes under suspicion by a chauvinistic pig inspector who looks rather like the curly-haired Donald Sutherland (in my new avatar). I don't recal if Sutherland was in an Argento film but he was in "Dont Look Back" a wonderful film that , if not Argento himself, is clearly a tribute to the director.