make your own g88

A place for DIY project discussions.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: make your own g88

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

more routering and the plinth machining is now all done.

i took the arm board cutout further forward to clear the arm rest and made it look ok by cutting it in line with the speed marker.

and added a toggle switch for power

ImageMake your own g88 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

next, arm mounting board needs making...

onwards!
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

got a load more done, got the plinth painted to seal it all before veneer and an arm board made

the arm board is a piece of solid oak with a walnut veneer applied to the top face. This was then drilled to accept a set of rubber decoupling grommets.

then got the veneer applied

and a couple of other shots with a g99 lurking in the background. next job.

Last edited by Vinyl-ant on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

bit more done on it, though not through choice.
i was inclined to keep the walnut in its bare colour, but that was not to be as son number one managed to get something on the veneer that marked it.

in the end i had to darken the finish to even it all out. This was the idea in the first place, but i kinda liked the contrast between the black top and the wood.

have some matt clear coat on the way to go over it all to seal it

it does however focus the eye on the motor unit.....

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

all done

took some fettling to get the finish right, its had a matt clear lacquer over the top of everything so that the change from veneer to paint from the sides to to edge is seamless.

the project arm is very nice, a ruddy bargain for what i got it for. has the boring goldring cart in it at the moment as i wasnt going to disturb the at150 for now.

this was to check for rumble ect but it sounds ok in this arm, although the project seems to be set up for heavier carts as its had to have a shim put on the top to add some weight and make it balance out properly

can see the contrast between the veneer and the black.

well pleased

edit: she who must be obeyed has said one of the decks must be sold as i now have too many apparently....... fergodsake.... anyone want it?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Listening to some Stanley Clarke on it now.
Vulcan princess is epic

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Think I shall put my goldring eroica in it and see what that's like

Seems that the felt mat on it is OK too.
Shall have to have a really good think about which turntables to keep. Only have 8 in the house, don't know what the missus is on about, that's not an unreasonable number.... :mrgreen:

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Got the eroica in it now hooked up via a little bear t8-1 head amp into the benedict audio phono stage rather than digging out the musical fidelity x-lps.

Better than the goldring e3 as expected.

The little bear is surprisingly good for twenty quid too.

Im not a big fan of suts, i used to use a pair of sowter suts, then llundahls, wasn't entirely convinced, then a denon ha500 for the eroica but that's gone now.

The little bear ain't bad at all straight out of the box, nil hum, just a plain and simple fet gain stage.

Might have a look in it and see what can be improved.
Power supply obviously. Hmmmm

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It's far from standard so comments on stock articles may well be meaningless, but the ribbed mat a la GL75 or the multi-ribbed mat from the GL78 used to sound best as I remember...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Yep the 78 one is actually pretty good, better than the 75 one ime
I usually use a 3mm neoprene one on the other lenco's, i ususally prefer the gripper ones than the slippier ones like this felt one.
This felt one is pretty thick though.
This one seems to work quite well, shall have to be have a swap and change with the neoprene and see what happens

Its not that far from standard tbh

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

well the Lenco is off with Paul tomorrow, fitted it with his Audio Technica atp-12t arm and a Denon dl103 for him. A nice combination

ImageDSC_1089 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

also got my friend Nigels g99 with its Karmadon arm finished, dsjr mentioned this arm on audio talk. there is one job left to do on it which is to sort out the reflector for the strobe light which doesn't reflect any more. I have a cunning plan to sort this.

I've not added any damping fluid to the arm bearing though as it will end up everywhere when its transported so ive listened to it without any damping. in my experience adding damping fluid is a matter of taste as it is. it sounds very good as it is. It has a high output Dynavector DV20xx2 in it, so i haven't used the additional headshell weight that the arm comes with.

these arms are very good, i can see why 103 and lenco users and like them

the dynavector is superb and i want one. i have always liked dynavectors and this one is lovely.

ImageG99 and karmadon by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

the plinth is veneered in walnut and then waxed with no stain or anything applied so that the tone is kept light to contrast with the dark arm and deck. opposite to nigels g88 build which inspired this build in the first place. that one contrasts the other way with the light cream deck and darker plinth.

ImageDSC_1090 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr