The Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 pm Thanks any others.
Yep, they both worked fine, no noise, no hum, gain fine. I honestly didn’t hear anything that would make me make a choice either way. Would need longer listening at home to start to have a worthwhile view.

Shame the Modwright died, I suspect a rectifier went. Good day out, good company.

I had a horse in the race, so even if I would like to believe I was unbiased, I know I wouldnt be.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 pm Thanks any others.
Yep, they both worked fine, no noise, no hum, gain fine. I honestly didn’t hear anything that would make me make a choice either way. Would need longer listening at home to start to have a worthwhile view.

Shame the Modwright died, I suspect a rectifier went. Good day out, good company.

I had a horse in the race, so even if I would like to believe I was unbiased, I know I wouldnt be.
Nic,

What was the model number of your Phono please? I remember it having FET in the name but couldn’t find it on website yesterday?
Wish I had stopped longer to listen to it but was impressed on the couple of tracks I heard.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

MCj3, its a replacement for the MCj2 with solid state shunt regs from the Ref Phono and new casework. Not got round to putting it on the website yet.

John Rackham
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by John Rackham »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 pm
Karnevil9 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:46 pm um it seems that you people have no music taste because you are letting the stereo dictate to you what to listen.
I have since cleansed my palette with some MC5, Ramones and Public Enemy ;)
That is much more like it. Shame that more bake offs don't play more music like that, instead of, as you put it 'girly audiophile' nonsense!

I love music, not hifi.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am
Karnevil9 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:46 pm um it seems that you people have no music taste because you are letting the stereo dictate to you what to listen.
That is much more like it. Shame that more bake offs don't play more music like that, instead of, as you put it 'girly audiophile' nonsense!

I love music, not hifi.
Absolutely, but people chose what they wanted to hear. Unfortunately, I am only 1/15th of the attendance (in number not weight), so my influence was limited.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

!5 attendees, that was good, how many from here.

Seems little point to have a bake-off then get no reviews.

savvypaul
Great Britain

15 is a guess. A few came and went.

'Our' Hemmo1969 was there...
I am in the hi-fi trade

John Rackham
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by John Rackham »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 am
John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am

I love music, not hifi.
Absolutely, but people chose what they wanted to hear. Unfortunately, I am only 1/15th of the attendance (in number not weight), so my influence was limited.
What a shame. I won't go to the kind of bake offs where people seem obsessed with comparing kit and playing only the most flattering recordings. There seems little point, especially when any such reviews arising from this are so personal and subjective.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

John Rackham wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am What a shame. I won't go to the kind of bake offs where people seem obsessed with comparing kit and playing only the most flattering recordings. There seems little point, especially when any such reviews arising from this are so personal and subjective.
On this occasion there was no "obsession" with comparing kit.

If it was not for Alan (Firebottle) and (perhaps) Paul, the comparison would (probably) not have been done.

It was just a few "old boys" listening to some vinyl on kit they have (possibly) not come across before.

It certainly was not, in any shape or form, a competition. 8-)

savvypaul
Great Britain

I was chatting for quite a bit to a fella for who this was his first bake off. I mentioned to him that the 'girly audiophile' track would sound 'just fab' on any system...and it did, all day, to no great purpose. But, like I say, it was someone's choice.
I am in the hi-fi trade