New Brexit Poll

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Copperblue

Re: New Brexit Poll

Unread post by Copperblue »

......and I’m a middle aged b’stard
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

It is I, Leclerc
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

I have no idea why Brexit is still being debated. There's absolutely nothing that any of us can do to change the situation that i can see, short of creating a virtualy anarchic situation. All the heated discussions, disputes and arguments have become nothing more than futile gabbles, like the laborers of Babel (with apologies to Johnathan Swift). No opinions are going to change either way so why bother? Better perhaps that we should try and look toward how it will change life for us and our families and do what we can to negate tha worst effects as far as we can.
"Brussels will be begging for a good deal because they need us more than we need them." That worked out well didn't it?
"The US will be a major trading partner and will take up a lot of the exports which will no longer be going to the EU." It seems the US doesn't agree.
"The UK can rebuild it's Icelendic fishing fleets again and revitalise the major fishing ports." Icelandic waters are nothing to do with the EU and the reason we don't fish there is a result of the last Cod War. To return there will simply result in another Cod War, which we will lose (again).
This could, without doubt, be quite a long and utterly pointless list. I'm sure there will be far more important things to worry about soon enough.

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... SApp_Other

Layers of deceit and right wing self interest
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

kellerist
Hungary

Unread post by kellerist »

No offense, and democracy is a wonderful thing.
But there are questions the people shouldn't decide, simply because the lack of information. Brexit was one of these questions imho.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The purpose of the referendum was for David Cameron to silence a group of 30-40 MPs in his party and to nullify the threat of UKIP to the Tory vote. He gambled that he could put the eurosceptics to bed but, instead, the eurosceptics put him in his shed. It is a very nice shed, though:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... luxury-hut
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Cameron might have thought it was 30 to 40 MPS in his party. However 140 Conservative MP's declared support for Brexit in the lead-up to the referendum. There would have been more than that - nobody knows how many - if personal loyalty to Cameron hadn't been an issue in their decision on this.

For example it was a very close and difficult decision for Boris Johnson to declare for Brexit. On the one hand he wanted to remain loyal to Cameron, on the other he wanted to follow what he thought was the better option for the country.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Or, 30-40 hardliners (who would now like a no-deal), another 100 backbenchers who had little affinity with Cameron's brand of conservatism and who saw it as the way to 'keep in' with their local associations.

I think it was a very hard task for Boris Johnson to decide which of Leave or Remain would be better for his career. I think he calculated that being a 'gallant loser' would leave him as the darling of the grass roots.

He looked devastated on the 'morning after'...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm Or, 30-40 hardliners (who would now like a no-deal), another 100 backbenchers who had little affinity with Cameron's brand of conservatism and who saw it as the way to 'keep in' with their local associations.
What's your source of information for what you've said on the motivation of the 100 backbenchers?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm Or, 30-40 hardliners (who would now like a no-deal), another 100 backbenchers who had little affinity with Cameron's brand of conservatism and who saw it as the way to 'keep in' with their local associations.
What's your source of information for what you've said on the motivation of the 100 backbenchers?
Only my take on what happened, based on media reporting during the Cameron years...BBC, The Times, The Guardian...and reading: Cameron at 10: The Inside Story 2010 - 2015
By: Anthony Seldon, Peter Snowdon
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

All Out War by Tim Shipman paints a different picture. That of a much larger Conservative genuinely Eurosceptic contingent in 2016 than 40 MP's.