Why are some people so fecking right wing?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Why are some people so fecking right wing?

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I have lived in my particular neck of the woods all my life. Everyone I grew up with were staunch Labour supporters and of the centre/left, all for a fair days work for a fair days pay and all staunch trade unionists. Thatcher laid waste to our communities nearly 40 years ago but if anything, the left grew stronger because of this. Then something started to go badly wrong round here after 2008.

And here we are in 2018 with crosses of St George hanging off bedroom windowsills around my area, "Trump Welcome" "Kill all ******* graffiti (thankfully now removed) daubed all over a charity billboard next to Manvers Lake.
Talking to a bloke whilst talking the dog for a walk last week, he couldn't wait for Brexit Day and them "foreigners" to be kicked out of the country.

Another incident with another bloke was when a wheelie bin had been overturned and used disposable nappies were strewn about.
The prat was even blaming foreigners for that particular mess. You couldn't make it up!
Me and the missus got some disposable gloves and put the offending detritus back in the bin and wheeled it back into the front of the house that had had the door smashed in by a previous police drugs raid. Passers by looked at us as if we were nutters for doing something that the council should be doing. The waste had been there three days, when we decided enough was enough and shifted it ourselves. You get scared to challenge racist views lest your windows be put through.

What the bloody hell is going on?
I was promted to this post by all the racist crap (now removed) that was being spouted by a few snakeoil knobheads on the Wam recently.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why are some people so fecking right wing?

Unread post by joe »

When times get hard, people look for someone to blame, and certain politicians and certain parts of the press are only too willing to point the finger at some 'visible' targets, specifically those with different skin colours/accents/disabilities. It's 'blame the victim', and handily distracts attention from the individuals and groups who are actually responsible. So the problem is not seen to be rapacious businessmen, busy asset-stripping and destroying what were perfectly viable companies, nor is it government starving public bodies of resources so that services are cut to the bone; instead it's seen to be 'all them foreigners/single mothers/disabled benefit claimants' who are (supposedly) 'stealing our jobs/living off our hard-earned wages'.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The workers got fed up with being screwed and wages brought down. Trade unions never really did much for members since the 70s. I won't have anything to do with them because they look after certain parts of membership at expense of others (cost me my job in 1980). Union leaders are just into politics now or at least some of them propping up Corbyn. Nobody with half a brain wants Corbyn as PM. He comes from a bunch of middle class left wing activists. Also loss of proper jobs has as much to do with Blair hugging Globalisation as anything that happened in the Thatcher era. Economically there were old industries most notably mining that couldn't compete long term but it is movement of production to China and Eastern Europe that has been more telling since the mid 90s. Being in the EU does not appear to have given much protection here. Also a lot of the flag waving yobs aren't old enough to remember the 70s and 80s. I find these people annoying because it taints the English flag.

So that may be why some working class young men have been driven to the far right. I have constantly said on this forum that Brexit has to go ahead because of this underlying current. Some areas have been overrun with European migrants. This is not good for public services and schools. especially as many can't speak English. Small number no doubt would have been made welcome. So there is a lot of resentment from people who are not represented any more by the 3 main political parties. Now I take it you are confining these comments to the far right rather than your average Tory voting citizen?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes, the far right, not your average Tory voter.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

A personal view, shall we say , classic.

Nothing wrong with that , it is just far from factual.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A personal view - Well Classic I am developing an opinion about your European immigrants, and I have met many who are working hard and making us a better country with their work and their families. Go into an average London Council Estate and those with the worst education and worst language skills are the English, not the Europeans. There is so much white tattooed aggressive trash it is frightening. Of the coloured immigrants, well the West Indian have now largely blended in and there is much cross marriage. The only problem is many still have big chips on their shoulders. Africans, some are trying, and many do jobs others wont do and are happily filled by them, but it is frightening how many we could end up with. Indi / Pak /Bangla, well it seems to be a religious / cultural question here. Hindus I like, gentle people, Sikhs are OK but cannot be called gentle, they all stick together but they are adding to us culturally, curry now being the British national dish. I can talk to all of them enjoy the differences between them and us. My problem has always been with Muslim, as you know I hate brainwash, and ALL religions are a form of brainwash but Muslim is more so. I cannot have a sensible conversation, it is not as though they are from a different country, it is though they are from a different planet populated by hypocrisy and locked minds, with much inbuilt aggression as a cultural imperative - I just hope in time being here changes it or there will be more and bigger problems.

So out of the whole lot go and get more coaches full of Poles, Czechs, Baltic States, bring them back, most speak better English than your usual council estate slob, and will contribute more than our white trash. On the way back the coaches can take the trash back with them and drop them in Germany, they seem to want everyone.

rant over.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

We have created a country in which you are compelled to care about you and yours and no one else. Not surprisingly such a stance lends itself to right wing ideologies
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Steve: i post on snake oil but never once have i posted a racist post. never.

Daniel: Trust no one & look after number one is what you do anyway.

Doc: Council estate slob! um im no slob i work very hard for a living.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Karnevil9 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:30 pm Doc: Council estate slob! um im no slob i work very hard for a living.
That is the problem with generalisations, the good ones you don't notice, it is the arses that stand out, and I don't know about S Yorkshire but S London is getting like a putrid hole because of them. In public they are animals - just sub human, to neighbours, in Pubs, Football matches, even just driving. The amount or road rage and aggression is getting out of hand, and most seem to be able to afford old or even new BMW, Audi or such like, usually fitting with more noisy exhausts to make the car as aggressive as them.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 pm We have created a country in which you are compelled to care about you and yours and no one else. Not surprisingly such a stance lends itself to right wing ideologies
Just about sums it up IMHO.
Daniel: Trust no one & look after number one is what you do anyway.
Not everyone does, what is sad is that is a view that is taken for granted now.