AoS

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: AoS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm

The one at my house. A highly modified Rega arm (coach bolt up the middle of it) far better than any UK Rega arm I have ever heard, but a virtual complete rebuild. Can't remember which cart.

The show was at Waltham Cross just down the road from Epping.

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Yes, that bake-off at your house led to the whole of my hi-fi buying since then taking a different course. And very glad I am that it did.

If it hadn't been for that I may have been stuck in Linn La La Land to this day.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm

The validity of that AoS bake-off is next to nothing, I think they did NVA a favour to not be part of it. We still need normal rooms in normal houses to do the job properly and sadly the only ones who manage it consistently are the old wigwam crowd, some still left at wigwam but mostly at Audio Abattoir. Is it really beyond the realms of our ability to be able to duplicate it. Savvy has succeeded, but he is way ooop norf, and has a small listening room, but even so he is making a proper contribution to our hobby. I used to be able to do small ones in Epping, but not here in Sidcup. I could hire a hall or a scout hut like that last bit of stooopidity, but what is the point, and even out of 15k members they still only got 15 to attend.

Any ideas from our members would be most welcome, I would put no barriers on anyone or any forum as partners with us in joint ventures, but as you see that has been made unlikely. Someone said a travelling roadshow would be good, but again it is just commercial venues, they are not domestic rooms in domestic houses. Steve (the Shadow) has done well in getting Audio Talk members to visit and listen to his speaker efforts, and there is an atmosphere of mutual help that surrounds that forum that you don't see elsewhere, maybe because there is no commercial pressure in DIY.

As I say I am now more committed to loans and trying to promote those, I see no drawback for those. OK you have to pay for delivery or petrol to collect, but you have to do that with a show or a retailer, and both of those give you a bad and unhelpful experience. OK these loans are only NVA, and it is being promoted on a NVA forum. An independent hi-fi loans forum where a small percentage is charged for a successful sale is a strong possibility, and it was what I want to talk to PFP at Wigwam about before I realised what an arse he is. As a business model it would work if manufacturers were willing to supply product, but in my experience they are far too scared of losing out, as that way the quality would out, again politics would try to kill it, too much slurp and too many slurpers who think all they have to do is SELL.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am

We ought to be seeing the rise of a new type of dealer - online only.

Online database of product knowledge and user reviews
30 day home trial
Intuitive ordering & fulfilment process
Reduced overheads - savings shared with customer

Of course, you do all this yourself, but other makers who don't have the time / desire / skills to do it all would benefit.
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:24 pm

savvypaul wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am
We ought to be seeing the rise of a new type of dealer - online only.

Online database of product knowledge and user reviews
30 day home trial
Intuitive ordering & fulfilment process
Reduced overheads - savings shared with customer

Of course, you do all this yourself, but other makers who don't have the time / desire / skills to do it all would benefit.
Isn't MCRU mainly online and look at his mark ups.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm

He also has a 'bricks & mortar' shop / showroom / dem room.
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:42 pm

AND loads of advertising.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm

NEBO 9 is being proposed - well it will give them another opportunity to exercise their childish pleasure in banning me and NVA.

At NEBO 8 there was a born again Christian bouncer on the door threatening to pray me into submission if I turned up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hemmo1969
Great Britain

Unread post by Hemmo1969 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm
NEBO 9 is being proposed - well it will give them another opportunity to exercise their childish pleasure in banning me and NVA.

At NEBO 8 there was a born again bouncer on the door threatening to pray me to submission if I turned up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn’t this up Durham way?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Used to be near Teesside airport - didn't happen last year IIRC

HiFi Foo Fight Blog