L75 plinth build.

All general audio posts go here.
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

L75 plinth build.

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

I am thinking about a plinth build for a Lenco l75. Has anyone got experience of these tables and plinth builds. What is the consensus on high mass or light and rigid builds.I am thinking of experimenting with some birch ply, mdf and Aluminium composite sheet which seems to be a sheet of polyethylene sandwiched between two sheets of aluminium all in about 6mm thick. Not sure if anyone has used this material before. My thinking is that each material will help to remove resonance at different frequencies. I was thinking of a 2 tier open skeletal design. I have a Pioneer pl600x at the moment which I really enjoy but if done properly will a lenco with a good arm be better. You never know Doc if I dont cock this up I may even get round to building those Isobaric units for my Cube 2's.
Diy audio I have the fear but hopefully I can overcome it. :lol:

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Re: L75 plinth build.

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Your sandwich suggestions sounds a great idea, Roksan's Upgrade Plinth uses 2 sheets of aluminium sandwiching Plywood.

Contact Vinylant for advice, his plinths are the dogs danglies, much better than some of the monstrosities you see in Lencoheaven. 8-)
Frank...made me do it.

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Off topic but a fellow Pioneer PL600X user identified. Great deck IMHO, banged on a few times about it on here.

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Hey Trev I agree the Pl600x is a fantastic deck. Seem to be quite rare. Never see them comimg up often. I managed to get an almost mint one last year for a great price. Built like a battleship and a sweet sound. I have a new Denon 103r I am about to fit to replace an Ortofon Vivo red. Hopefully the Denon will be a good match I couldn't find much info on the Pioneer arm. The Pl600x is a hidden gem and stunning value for money it absolutely trounced my Rega P3-24 and made the Rega look like a toy into the bargain.

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Mk 2 version of the Technics 'SL150' was a nice deck.

spacejay

Unread post by spacejay »

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 am I am thinking about a plinth build for a Lenco l75. Has anyone got experience of these tables and plinth builds. What is the consensus on high mass or light and rigid builds.I am thinking of experimenting with some birch ply, mdf and Aluminium composite sheet which seems to be a sheet of polyethylene sandwiched between two sheets of aluminium all in about 6mm thick. Not sure if anyone has used this material before. My thinking is that each material will help to remove resonance at different frequencies. I was thinking of a 2 tier open skeletal design. I have a Pioneer pl600x at the moment which I really enjoy but if done properly will a lenco with a good arm be better. You never know Doc if I dont cock this up I may even get round to building those Isobaric units for my Cube 2's.
Diy audio I have the fear but hopefully I can overcome it. :lol:
I used aluminium composite and acrylic layers for my GL75. Couldn't tell you if it was a good material though.

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Hi Chunk
Use a Denon 103 myself for the Pioneer. A std doc recommend. V musical, tracks as good as anything I've ever owned if not better.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

A mixture of mdf and ply is my preference after messing about for years with different combinations. I have also used a mix of bbp and acrylic which works well. That was a plinth for an lp12. No subchassis, just the bearing and platter, motor and valhalla board.

Engineering plastics such as nylon, delrin ect also work well.

Dont just assume mass on its own will do the job, consider that there are loads of resonances bouncing around the inside of a plinth. Lenco's have 50 and 100hz noise from the motor, bearing noise idler noise and resonances from the linkages which are resonating in sympathy with the motor.

Using combinations of different materials will deal more effectively with the damping of these.

Also consider how you want to mount the unit in the plinth and that metal will transfer energy but not really damp it
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

If you want a look at my site there might be some bits on there that may be of help for you,
Www.bte-designs.weebly.com

Mods feel free to delete this if it contravenes any rules
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You are welcome ant. We try to help small direct sell guys if we can.