Transformer Hum

All general audio posts go here.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Transformer Hum

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm Nick I sold you something last summer that I thought might make be great improvement, but it was too big and heavy for me and I had no room for it. It seems it is still at MCRU. That would be worth experimenting with.
Yep, like you space is at a premium here ATM.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Having noted the enthusiasm for the Tesla Power Wall I did some research into high power conversion systems, basically inverters. The research paper I skimmed covered an AC-DC-AC Variable Speed Constant Frequency generator rated between 40KVA and 250KVA. What I noticed fairly quickly was the amount of filtering applied to the output to get a sine wave. The paper also showed plots of the output with noise prior to filtering which was quite significant. Given that the paper was dated 2017 it is reasonable to assume that the principles are current.

I accept that we won't be concerned with the generation of the original AC waveform and that any rectification in a domestic environment will be single phase with a final single phase output. The point being that the inverter isn't the only factor affecting source impedance, the filters would appear to have some effect too. Source impedance wasn't immediately noticeable as a consideration in the paper.

You can find it here: VSCF proposal

BilliumB
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by BilliumB »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm Nick I sold you something last summer that I thought might make be great improvement, but it was too big and heavy for me and I had no room for it. It seems it is still at MCRU. That would be worth experimenting with.
Hello Doc

Was that the large isolation transformer that you posted about some time ago? I was hoping to hear how you got on with that.

Cheers. Bill

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes I sold to Nick (lurcher) as I couldn't even get it in the house.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm You have lots of big transformers and noisy mains. There is one more thing you can add to try and drop it more - a DC blocker - this one seems the best value.

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-asse ... d-in-case/

The last thing in the line of things before the system should be the BMU then you know you are balanced..
I have bad mains so bought one of these on the Doc's advice to plug the BMU into. It has been in place over a week and the BMU has been completely silent. Prior to this it sometimes made a noise and could get quite loud first thing in the morning for some reason. A slight hum (not through the speakers) still comes from the A80s, but seems less than before. Sound quality has not changed. A bargain when you consider what MCRU is charging for them. :)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

BrandonMarlow
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by BrandonMarlow »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:56 am
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm You have lots of big transformers and noisy mains. There is one more thing you can add to try and drop it more - a DC blocker - this one seems the best value.

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-asse ... d-in-case/

The last thing in the line of things before the system should be the BMU then you know you are balanced..
I have bad mains so bought one of these on the Doc's advice to plug the BMU into. It has been in place over a week and the BMU has been completely silent. Prior to this it sometimes made a noise and could get quite loud first thing in the morning for some reason. A slight hum (not through the speakers) still comes from the A80s, but seems less than before. Sound quality has not changed. A bargain when you consider what MCRU is charging for them. :)
Did you buy it from that site? If it was OK for you I'll buy one too - the signing certificate on that site looks a bit iffy.

How long did it take to arrive?

Thanks in advance

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Brandon, I bought one too but it made no difference in my set up, good or bad. Certainly couldn't hear any negative effect on the music. I bought the version with cable glands so I could try it in different locations which needed different terminations.
With post it is €90 but you could have it for £55 delivered. It is currently set up with UK 13A plug in and IEC out but you can change that to whatever you want.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

kellerist
Hungary

Unread post by kellerist »

I bought it from that site too. Flawless.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I bought it from the site. Came from Bulgaria and took around a week to arrive. Had to buy a kettle lead to connect it, not from MCRU. :) A few quid on eBay.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

zebbo wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:35 pm Brandon, I bought one too but it made no difference in my set up, good or bad. Certainly couldn't hear any negative effect on the music. I bought the version with cable glands so I could try it in different locations which needed different terminations.
With post it is €90 but you could have it for £55 delivered. It is currently set up with UK 13A plug in and IEC out but you can change that to whatever you want.
That offer applies for anyone else here also if he doesn't want to take advantage. :grin:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: